1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Headers in Word 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by md2lgyk, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

I have a short document (14 pages) written in Word 2000. Starting about the middle of the document, and only for a couple of pages before it reverts back to normal, the header somehow goes from being 1/2-inch high to something like 5 inches high. This of course means the first line of text is in the middle of the page.

If I select the offending header and try to adjust its margin with the vertical ruler, the change won't stick - when I release the mouse button the header immediately reverts to its large size.

What would cause this? And how can I fix it??

2. The Villan

The Villan

Can you upload the document so we can have a look at the problem or is the info too sensitive?

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Not sure I can. Though only 14 pages, the document has a lot of photos. The file is 10.5 MB.

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I sent you a PM send it to that address for me please and then reply to this post stating that you did and I will look at it.

5. The Villan

The Villan

Let us know the answer. I was suspecting section breaks, but not beeing able to see the doc, its just a stab in the dark.

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to see it to make sure. ;)

7. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Sorry, even when zipped the file is over 10MB and I can't send it from here. I'll make a copy, delete all the photos, and try again.

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    OK. Let me know when you get it sent to me. ;)

9. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Just sent it. Thanks in advance for your help.

10. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    OK, all the headers I see are the same size. Where were you having issues with the document?

11. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Actually I see what you are talking about now it is in the body. I am taking a look at it now.

12. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    You Margins are set to -4.48 and it is not liking that within that section. Place your mouse pointer in the section that is giving you issues and double click on the vertical ruler which will bring you into page setup. If you fix the margins it will fix this error.

13. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Thanks, but that doesn't entirely fix the problem. I adjusted the margin in the offending section 3 and the header is OK now on the first page of the section, but on the next page (page 10) it's still 2 inches high. And it's normal on all the following pages.

14. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    The other issue you are having is that you have set the vertical alignment for that section to center instead of top. Go back into page setup for that section and click on the "Layout" tab. Within here set the "Vertical Alignment" to "Top" and that should be it. Let me know if there is more. ;)

15. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Yes, I noticed that. I reset it to Top and all is well. Thanks for your help. I didn't create this document originally and have no idea why the author did what he did.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!