1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help accessing user files from another computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mreddys10, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I had a Dell Laptop with Win7 64-bit. But there was a problem and it wouldn't boot anymore. The problem is that there are some very important files in that laptop. So, I got that hard drive out and connected it to my Toshiba (Win7, 32-bit) as an external drive.

I was not able to access the 'user' files from the dell. When I tried to open it, I got an error message 'access denied'. So, I went to properties --> Security --> Advanced, and changed the permissions to everyone. Now, when I open the folder 'Documents and Settings', it opens the folder on my Toshiba, and not the actual files that are on that hard drive.

I NEED to get those files out of there. Please help.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Since both machines are Windows 7 machines, you should be looking in the "user" folder not the "Documents and Settings" folder.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you connected your Dell hard drive to Toshiba, it will show up as drive D. ( if you dont have a drive D in the first place) . The files you want are in D:\Users\<username>.

4. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

I cant find that folder in that drive. I have enabled everything in the folder view options, including 'view protected system files'.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your external drive has one or more partitions (that Microsoft calls "drives"), right? And they are assigned driver letter(s), right? One of those is the partition that was called C: when you were able to boot to it on the Dell. On that partition you should find the Users folder, etc.

After you find the folders/files you want you may need to Take Ownership.

6. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

I'm sorry about the confusion, but I do know what you guys are talking about. The drive that you are talking about (the boot drive for the Dell) shows up as drive G: on my Toshiba. When I connect it to my laptop, the folder 'users', along with a few others like 'Program Files', and 'Program Files (x86) don't show up in that drive for some reason. The green progress bar in the location bar never completes (even after 30 min).

When I connect the same hard drive to my Mac, I can see all the folders, including 'users' (with a lock symbol), but when I open it, and go to any user's folder (ex: admin), there are no files in there. Even the folder 'Documents and Settings' is empty. Where could all my data have gone? Because the space taken up on the drive is still the same as it was before the Dell broke.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uh-oh. That sounds like pretty serious hard drive failure. My next attempt would be to boot to a Puppy Linux Live CD (or other "rescue disk" of your choice) and see if it has any better luck accessing the files. If it does, you can then copy them with Puppy.

8. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

ok. Thanks. Even I think the hard drive is at fault. Thanks for all your replies guys. Marking it as solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice