Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: HELP AMD ATHLON XP wont start up - black screen

1K views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a AMD Athlon XP Processor.

After noticing that the speed wasnt preforming right - i.e. 1.25 GHZ instead of 2.25GHZ i went into the Bios on a MSI motherboad and went to CPU Speed and it was set as 100MHZ but i put it it up 200 thinking it was that or it could of been the CPU Frequency as 100MHZ and i put that up to 200MHZ.

After doing that it rebooted with a black screen nothing comming up.

I inserted a floppy disc to see if it was booting up as i would be able to tell to see if it accesses it - but no.

What has happened - is there anyway of doing anything, as the keyboard doesnt work either as i would of been able to change it in the Bios.

Thanks

#2 ·
You will need to clear cmos and set the fsb correctly. Post what model of processor you have ie 3000+ 333 or whatever. When you clear cmos, it resets all settings to system default. You MAY not have to reset anything since everything should default to AUTO detect.

Some boards default to a 100 fsb in order to allow a duron processor to boot. Check your manual for how to clear cmos and where the fsb setting are located in the bios.

#8 ·
Most of the time you open the case and move a small jumper to clear cmos. Check your manual it will have info on how to clear cmos. Another way to do this is to remove the cmos battery on the board [ it looks like a big watch battery]

In any case, check your manual. It should have info on how to clear cmos. Once you do this, it resets every setting to system defaults and should allow your system to boot.

#10 ·
You probably have not done any damage to the system, however there is a slight possibility of damaging hardware due to the overclock that was induced by setting the fsb to 200 / 400.

A reset of cmos should fix the problem.

#11 ·
When using the battery method, I leave it out for 30 min or more. Before you do this, remove the power cord from the back of the system. Now hit the power on button once or twice. This fully discharges the caps in the power supply. Now remove the battery. Take a break and come back and replace the battery. It should boot.

BTW watch how you remove the battery. It goes back in the same way.

#12 ·
Thanks very much i did the jumper method - i went back into the bios and i had a look to see what i had altered - i altered the CPU FSB Clock from 100MHZ to 200MHZ.

I dont suppose you can help me with an answer to why i get displayed 1.25 GHZ and not 2.00GHZ or suomething around that. Could it be updates or something?
Thanks again

#13 ·
You need to know what processor you have. If it is a 2500+ then the fsb should be set to 166. I think there were some mobile 2500+ that used a 133 fsb, however they are pretty rare. Once you set the fsb correctly, it should id as the correct processor.

#15 ·
The fsb is what you set originally. As you have seen you need to set this correctly. It is showing as a 1.25 because the fsb is not set correctly. The way cpu mzh is determined is by the formula [multiplier X fsb = clock speed]

For the 2500+ you have a multiplier of 11 and a fsb of 166. This yields a clock speed of 1.83 which will id as a 2500+

Again you need to be SURE of what processor you have.

#16 ·
Thanks its back to normal now - i had a 2600+ processor and set the fsb to 180 and it works perfectly fine.

After doing a Bios update - it reverts back to the defults for the bios - thats how the fsb got put down lol

It that right above?

Thanks for all your help - i have certainly leanrt summit tonite and its 03.47 in the morning in the UK

#17 ·
Ok, there are three 2600+ cpus. One is a 133 / 266 fsb, another is a 166 / 333 fsb, and I believe there is a 2600+ barton core cpu. None of these use a 180 fsb. It most likely should be set to 166 / 333; unless you are trying to overclock the system.

BTW glad you got it to work and learned something in the process.

You can mark your own thread as solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.