1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help Building Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bryce98, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bryce98

Bryce98 Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi. I'm doing this school project for IT, in which I have to plan the specs for the ideal gaming machine (w unlimited $). All parts must come from sites which ship to Australia. Here's is what I have so far...

Item -Make/Model -Price $ -Seller
    Casing -Cooler Master/HAF 932 AMD-$179 -Austin Computers
    Power Supply –Silverstone/StriderT1500160-$343.79 -ITSPOT.com.au
    Motherboard -Gigabyte/GA-X58A-UD7-$399 -Landmark Computers
    RAM -Kingston/Dominator GT 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 -$333.32 (for 2 Kits of 2x 2GB) -PC Solutions
    Ram Cooler -Kingston HyperX Fan-$31.83 -NextWarehouse.com
    GPU -Dual ATI/RadeonHD 4870 X2s - 1179.20 (For 2) -Price point
    System Drive -Crucial/RealSSD C300 -$699.99 -Crucial (OEM)
    Storage Drive + Backup Drive -Seagate/Barracuda 1TB (x2)-$175.90 (For 2) -Shopping Square
    Sound Card -Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Sound Card-$178.00 -D & D Computer Technology
    CPU -Intel/Core i7-980X Extreme Edition-$1469.00 -mwave
    CPU and Graphics Cooler -Asetek OEM integrated CPU and GPU cooler-:confused:-:confused:

[​IMG]

My issue here is that I don't know what components to buy to fit these types of CPU/GPU. I really want this cooler because it looks pretty good (in specs and aesthetics). Thanks in advance guys:cool:.
    NOTE - I have checked the slot types and availability, voltage, speed etc. to ensure everything fits.

2. BG-0

BG-0

-.-* Frustration. Always tend to forget that when you have a PDF file open and selected, Ctrl-W closes the whole browser instead of the tab.

Anyways, back to business.
    Even with unlimited imaginary money, you would not want to waste money on no performance gain, or even a decrease in it.
    Power supply, I'd prefer an Enermax Revolution 1050. Plenty of power, longer warranty. If you really would want to consider "upgrade paths" for the computer, the 1250W model is always there, too.
    Personally I'd get the UD5, as the UD7's cooler solutions are very obstructing, it'd seem.
    RAM, do NOT get 2n*2GB of RAM for an X58 i7 setup. 3x2 or 6x2 GB of RAM is good. I would also reconsider Kingston RAM... Corsair Dominator is okay, but better look at the Gigabyte's memory QVL list, if you don't find the Dominators on the compatible list on the Corsair search engine.
    RAM cooler is unnecessary really.
    GPU, 4870X2 is OLD and outdated. A BIG no. 5970, or a pair of them, instead. http://www.eshopit.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=304390
    SSD for main drive and RAID 1 array for backup is a good idea.
    i7 980X is quite... Overkill. As are dual 5970s. It's fine.

The actual question you placed. Asetek's using a 8800 GTX as an example in their product info, not, NOT a good sign. 5970 hardly has any water cooling solutions available, here's one but I doubt it's going to be out in Australia right now: http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=947
    This way you would need to build the watercooling system from scratch though. That's really the only way to watercool high-end PCs. The pre-assembled things are for lower spec computer, an easy solution not fit for i7 980X + Dual dual-chip graphics cards.

3. Compiler

Compiler

What he said.... :)

I was about to respond pretty much the same thing.

4. Bryce98

Thanks so much!
    And another question. Which graphics card is the most powerful on sale now?

PS. Koolance is awesome (y)

5. BG-0

BG-0

5970 really. The very thing I linked.

6. Compiler

Compiler

And then get two of them... :) That's about $1500... then add $200~300 for a solid 1000watt PSU. ;)

7. Bryce98

Yes, i got 2. (Imagine the FPS!) Thanks.

8. Compiler

Compiler

Really should have a 1200watt PSU.

A typical system with the GF480 will eat about 600+ watts. Each card needs at least 300watts. So that'll put you around 900watt... which doesn't give you much overhead.

9. Bryce98

And what about cooling? how much wattage will they put out in terms of heat?

10. Compiler

Compiler

A lot of heat. There isn't a hotter graphics card than the GF-480.

The case will be have to excellent cooling, forget about having a quiet system.

11. Bryce98

So is a cooler with 1000W capacity OK?

12. Compiler

Compiler

Cooler for what? Coolers don't run on watts.

Case has to have good ventilation as two such cards are going to be sucking in a lot of air to keep from burning up.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice