1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help! Can't Find Wireless Adapter! (Windows XP)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Propain65, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Propain65

Propain65 Thread Starter

About 2 years ago, my friend gave me his old laptop. It's a Compaq Presario v6000, with Windows Xp 2002 Media Center installed.

Frankly, I never really decided to touch it until now. So I turned the senior on and logged on the what used to be my friend's administrator account. Then, I made one of my own and deleting that account, to clear up some space for what I whatever I was going to put of my own.

Then, when I decided to jump on the internet, I encountered a problem; the wireless network wasn't turning on. I looked on the front and I found a slide switch with a radio tower and an orange light next to it on the front left of the laptop. Assuming that's the switch, i flipped it one way. Nothing happened, no icons appeared in the notification area and the orange light didn't change at all.

So, I went into control panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections. Only the local area connection was there. There was nothing else. So, i grabbed the ethernet cable and connected it the laptop with my router and went off googling.

Turns out the microsoft support page addresses this issue
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702
    I followed the command prompt instructions and I got exactly what it says, so i moved on to Basic Troubleshooting.
    In step 1, it asks to check for the latest drivers. This is really confusing, because the link it gives just takes me to the front store page. I decided to skip it and move on. Any clarifying help is appreciated.
    The next steps were basicly what i just did earlier. I went on to Driver Instalation Issues. I followed the steps, and here were the problems I got:
    There is no "other devices" tab, so I skipped that step
    There is no wireless anywhere in the network adapters.

Does this mean I don't have any wireless adapter at all? Did not all laptops come with a wireless thing back then? Or am I just simply doing something wrong? I'd appreciate any help!:)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Not all laptops come with wireless - but the fact you have a switch on the front should indicate a wireless enabled laptop

can you post a device manager screen shot - see below - and any devices with other ? ! on ?

also a ipconfig /all- see below

also it maybe the wireless is disabled in the bios/setup-

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enabled in Bios / Setup
    as the PC starts you should be told how to enter the bios / Setup - one of the F keys usually F2, F10, F11 or del key is often used
    MAKE SURE you DO NOT change any settings and look to see if there is a setting for the wireless or WLAN
    if its disabled change it to enabled
    if its enabled - then exit without saving
    if you cant find a setting then exit without saving

Device Manager

Please Post back the results in device manager as requested below

how to access device manager for different windows versions
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen, see the menu on the left hand side

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

If the above does not work then

Start > control Panel> system > hardware Tab, device manager button>
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

Once you are in device manager then navigate to:

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices that are listed under network adapters
    are there any yellow ! ? or a X​

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    For Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

ipconfig /all

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
    Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Compaq Presario V6000 series laptop has 10 models listed at the HP/Compaq support site, so we need to determine which model yours is.

Advise us what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

To check if there is a card, turn the laptop over so the battery (rear) (top) is away from you.
    In the middle (front) (bottom) is the Memory/WLAN cover held down with 3 Phillips screws.
    Remove the 3 screws and lift the left side of the cover. It is tabbed on the right.
    The memory modules are at the top of the opening, WLAN card at bottom right of the opening.

Did find some articles about overheating causing damage to the wireless cards with this series.
    Even a WiKi article.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035886.pdf

No real solutions that I found, except a USB adapter.

This is PDF Maitenance and Service Guide Compaq Presario V6000
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035886.pdf

5. Propain65

Propain65 Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the replies! I've replied back to every action below
    (Sorry for late reply btw :eek:)
    Also, correction: it's Windows 2005 Media Center, not 2002. (I found this on the placard on the bottom, but for some reason the copyright i see throughout is ~1985-ish to 2002)

Flavallee
    c/n: CNF64928K2
    p/n: RG290UA#ABA

Source: HP service placard i found on bottom

Etaf (thanks for going through all that trouble of writing it for me!)

Check Setup:
    Couldn't find any thing saying wireless or wlan, so i quit)

Device Manager:
    Check the jpg somewhere in the post.

ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SHORT

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ph.cox.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ph.cox.net

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-C2-20-FE

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.6

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 19, 2013 9:10:39 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 20, 2013 9:10:39 PM
    Dlsayremn:
    The last thing I really want when troubleshooting this kind of stuff is to get physical with a laptop, so i'll put this to last if nothing else works.

Thanks for the advise people!

Attached Files:

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne

flavallee
    may be able to find the original specification from the information supplied, i cannot

the model number is something like V6310CA / V6320CA / V6305CA / V6316CA - which have a LAN connection
    and only these models have a wireless adapter
    V6320CA / V6305CA / V6317CA / V6316CA

see link here
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/e...8308301-78308301-78308301-78867421.html?dnr=1

the device manager is not showing any other or ? ! so that means all drivers are installed
    The network adapters are not showing a wireless
    its quite possible there is no wireless on the PC - unless its disabled in bios - and i think that option is only available on later models - can you provide the model number like the examples above
    heres a link from HP on how to find the model number
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...indModel&cc=ca&dlc=en&docname=c00033108&lc=en

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to product number RG290UA#ABA, your laptop is a Compaq Presario V6107US model.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows XP Media Center Edition pre-installed.

According to the driver downloads section, it has Broadcom 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN.

The wireless driver supposedly fixes an issue on laptops that have a slider wireless switch that takes about 20 seconds for the LED light to change from amber to blue when the laptop is resuming from suspect or hibernate mode.

------------------------------------------------------------

A recovery disc kit for that model laptop appears to still be available here.

------------------------------------------------------------

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably (I didn't look for a maintenance manual or user guide) you can remove a small cover on the bottom of the laptop and see whether there is or is not a wireless card installed. If there is one remove and carefully reinsert it several times to cure any possible looseness or corrosion problems.

9. Propain65

Propain65 Thread Starter

Okay.... so what am I supposted to do next? :confused: The Wireless LAN link takes me to a place where I can download the driver, do I get it? And/Or, do i also have to buy the Disk you also showed me?

Terrynet:
    Like I said above, I will get physical with it if all else fails. I kind of misplaced my Phillips Screwdriver anyway:eek:

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It does not appear in Device Manager and you can't find any reference to it in the BIOS (Setup), right? It's time to "get physical" or just buy an external wireless adapter.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the hard drive dies in that laptop and needs to be replaced, you'll need the recovery disc kit to install the Windows operating system and device drivers to get that laptop going again. I provided you the "HP Recovery Center" link as a courtesy. It's your choice whether or not to buy the recovery disc kit.

If the wireless device is not listed in the Device Manager, the laptop is probably not detecting and recognizing the device, so downloading and saving and installing the driver (sp36684.exe) probably won't do any good.

The quickest and easiest way to get a wireless connection in that laptop is to buy an external wireless adapter that plugs into a USB port. They all come with instructions and a driver disc for setting it up.

Here are several that you can browse through.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless there is a good integrated wireless adapter and it is just loose or the contacts are corroded. Of course, that's easy for me to say because I have a bunch of Phillips screwdrivers. :D

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never removed/replaced an integrated wireless adapter in a laptop, so I'm definitely not the person to provide any input in that area. :eek:

14. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Have replaced/upgraded memory in a few HP, Compaq, Dell and Toshiba laptops. Usually #1 or smaller Phillips head screwdriver for the memory/wireless card cover, but a 3/16" wide standard(slotted) will work.

Pulled the wireless when replacong a power socket on a Toshoba. That wasn't hard. It had clips just like the memory modules.

Think the manual for thos one says there are two screws holding the wireless card that need to be removed, then the end pops up.

15. Propain65

Propain65 Thread Starter

Another late reply. I probably don't have the time to even fix this thing XP

So, I shut off and flipped over the computer. There are a bunch of screws, but the ones that caught my attention are the 3 with the same icon next to them, along with 2 with a different ones that also share the same icon. I'm not sure with one exactly is it, so i just took both sets off. Turns out they are also 2 separate covers. There was some stuff I recognized, such as the RAM and the HDD, but that's it. I took a picture with my IPad of what I see, and I labeled what I know and what I don't know below. The one I marked in red is the thing that I believe is the card,I would mess with it but last thing I want to do is find out that actually is something else.... Can someone confirm for me what it is?

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice