1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help! Can't logon to XP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Louise52, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Louise52

Louise52 Thread Starter

I am running XP Home on a multi-drive system. For historical reasons I've been running XP from drive D: and it normally works fine. I also have a drive C,E F and G. I was wanting to change my drive d to be drive C as per standard systems. I changed the current C to be I: but now I can't load Windows! Instead, after I enter my password it simply returns 'logging off'. Obviously, the system still needs and uses the C drive. Is there any way I can reverse the situation from recovery console or other mode?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How many ACTUAL HDD`s are there, as against partitoned drives.

3. Louise52

Louise52 Thread Starter

Hmm.. think I just posted my reply wrong...
    Anyway, thanks for your response :) I have 3 physical hard drives in the system. Maybe I can correct the problem with DiskPart but I'm not sure how...

4. Macboatmaster

Can you develop that further please
    Out of C, D, E, F and G, which are the separate hard drives and which of those is partitioned to provide the remaining one.
    Remembering of course that what was C is now I

5. Louise52

Louise52 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm not certain off-hand (am at a different location to my PC at the moment). I'll have to get back to you tomorrow with the exact information.
    Many thanks
    Happy New Year!!

6. Macboatmaster

If XP was installed totally on drive D. then take out the other HDD`s, install ONLY D, set that in BIOS as the boot device and see where you go from there.

If XP had the boot.ini files etc on another drive but D drive showed Windows then this will not work.

You will actually be fortunate if you can recover from this without drastic measures.
    I would boot from Puppy Linux and examine all drives to determine what is on each in relation to the Windows files, including of course hidden files and protected operating system files.

While I was in Puppy I would backup everything needed just in in case.

Here are the instructions for Diskpart from the Recovery Console.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=30041

MAY I PLEASE STRESS that I have never had to use Diskpart and I am not therefore in a position to advise you
    on this aspect.

If you wish to consider the Puppy Linux route the instructions are on my post 2 and 3 here.
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/960467-solved-fatal-error.html

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Afraid the Diskpart command available in the Recovery Console is totally different than the one in Windows, which is the one the KB article describes.
    It's basically a version of Fdisk. You can create and delete partitions, that's it.

Disk Management will not let you change the drive letter on a boot or system volume, so that shouldn't have changed things. Did the C: drive used to have a copy of XP? First thing that comes to mind is the Userinit key in the registry got set to C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe, instead of D:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe, so now it can't find the Userinit.exe program as C: doesn't exist anymore, and will immediately log off.

If you have access to a Vista or Win 7 DVD, or a PC running Win 7 to create a repair disk, we can check the registry to see if that's the case, and/or change the I: drive back to C:

As far as changing the drive letter of the XP install from D: to C:, you can't, at least not without a lot of work, and even then things might not work right.
    You'd be better off re-installing Windows and all your programs if you need the drive letter changed.

8. Macboatmaster

Louise52
    I owe you an apology, as TheOutcaste has pointed out I misinformed you, re Diskpart.

TheOutcaste
    Thank you. I stand corrected. My acknowledgement to you.

9. Louise52

Louise52 Thread Starter

Hi
    Ok, I solved the problem! :) This is what I did:
    I downloaded a copy of Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
    I used the built-in registry editor to edit System\MountedDevices
    Located \DosDevices\I and changed it (back) to \DosDevices\C
    Rebooted and everything ok now!
    Before I downloaded the free UBCD4Win I purchased a copy of Spotmau's BootSuite2011 but this proved useless other than it let me look at the registry so was able to see the MountedDevices entry.
    Anyway, many thanks and Happy New Year!
    Louise

10. Macboatmaster

Very pleased for you, sorry about the mixup with Diskpart, it was my error.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice