1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help - Can't send email??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by stomp, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

I dont get it I can get email but I can not send the PC is running Windows 2000 and it uses outlook with a pop account. I have checked with my ISP and they do not block port 25. I have turned off the sonicwall firewall still a no go. This user has just gotten a new HD and I up graded him to Windows 2000 from Windows 98. He is on a network and I gave him the same IP address and computer name that he had before. Also it does not require authentication and the outgoing server is the same as incoming. Should I reload the os? I also tried Thunderbird to make sure that it was not just MS products. Any suggestions?

2. datamonger

datamonger

stomp,

Some additional info is required.
    Are there any error messages (copy/paste in response)? When Outlook errors during mail delivery, there is an indication of such in the status bar at the bottom of the window. Does the mail server require user login to send email? Does the mail server require a secure connection to send email? Are you on a company domain (ie, yourcompany.com)?

3. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

Error
    "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.yourdomain.com',
    Server: 'mail.yourdomain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
    Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0"

Does the mail server require user login to send email? The username and password are set up.
    Does the mail server require a secure connection to send email? No
    Are you on a company domain (ie, yourcompany.com)? Yes

I will add that in that building I have 7 PC all set up the same.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Does the domain run their own mail server. If so you will need to set up the mail server that is in house as the SMTP server.

5. datamonger

datamonger

stomp,

In your System Properties for the client system, on the Network Identification tab, does your Full computer name show as computer. or does it appear as computer.yourdomain.com?

6. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

No it's a pop account goes through an ISP.

It appears as computername.domainname.local

7. Rockn

Rockn

What are your settings for the POP and SMTP servers in Outlook and are they correct? Have you disabled the Windows firewall as well? Do you run any AV software or internet security apps that may be blocking emails?

8. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

POP and SMTP settings are correct I went over it with our ISP also I set that account up here on my lab PC and it worked fine. I don't think that Windows 2000 has a Firewall. But I did (which I was not happy about) shut down the sonicwall to test it and still a no go. No AV running. Could it be that I should have joined the domain after getting the PC up and running instead of joining as I was going through the Windows install? Is that what datamonger is getting at?

9. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    I don't really think that would make a difference. What version of Outlook are you using??

10. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

I have tried Outlook 2000, Outlook Express, and Thunderbird.

11. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    In your email settings, there should be a check box to use the same settings as your incoming mail server. Try that because I've had people tell me before that their outgoing mail servers do not require additional authentication, and then it turns out they do.

However, if you've set the account up successfully on the other computer and everything works okay, there might be something blocking it. I would uninstall that firewall completely and try again.

12. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

Well the firewall is a Sonicwall its hardware so I tried by passing it.

13. datamonger

datamonger

stomp,

The reason I had you check the computer.domain information would have been if you were running the mail server internally and the mail server did some sort of authentication based on your existence in DNS. This is not the case so you can disregard.

Moving on. Do you maintain the SonicWall? Can you make sure that it is not blocking this workstation from sending SMTP (port 25)? If you bypass the SonicWall, do you have to be concerned about changing your IP address (due to Network Address Translation) of the workstation?

14. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

Yes I do maintain the SonicWall and port 25 is open. Not sure about the Network Translation I would not think so. Well, I was able to go to msn.com and click around a bit.
    I forgot one error msg.
    "(0X80042109); unable to connect to outgoing SMTP email server."

15. ihatemyjob

ihatemyjob

In my experience, the error "The connection to the server has failed" is almost always caused by email scanning within anti-virus software being enabled. Close your outlook, open your anti-virus, disable email scanning, then re-open your outlook, and try again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice