Solved: Help clean index.dat

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

uly7

I have CCleaner and I run it and it cleaned most of my stuff.

However, I got 2 cookies folders, 1 in C/Documents and Settings/Default User and another one in C/Documents and Settings/my name.

The one in Default User is clean, but the other one is not. It is still have the index.dat file.

How can I clean it?

I have XP :confused:
Thanks

If you have two users it's easy. Just log in as one and delete the index.dat file one the other one. I like cleaning up multiple user accounts like this, including the temp and temporary internet cache files. Otherwise you need to log into each one and run some special utility. Take a lot longer that way. You can also try booting to a safe mode command prompt as well.

uly7

Hola Bob and Elvandil

I run Index.dat suite and it found a lot of index files, which all but one
--C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OFFLIN~1\index.dat--
had a mark on it.
why this one don't have a mark like the otehr ones?
Do I need to keep this one?
Thanks (y)

uly7

Hola
Why do I need a 4 different folders? I'm the only one that use this PC, Well, my son and my girlfriend sometimes, but not on a daily basis.

--C/Documents and Settings/Administrator. Daniel-L8DBB
--C/Documents and Settings/All Users
--C/Documents and Settings/Personal folder
--C/Documents and Settings/Defalult User

Now I got this message., and the other one.
---------------------------
Index.dat Suite
Error Code: 70

Windows Description: Permission Denied

Friendly Description:

There was a problem while deleting one or more file's in this

folder. Please make sure none of the files are currently in use

by another program, and that you have sufficient permissions to

perform this operation.

Folder: C:\DOCUME~1\DANIEL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\
OK
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Index.dat Suite
Error Code: 70

Windows Description: Permission Denied

Friendly Description:

There was a problem while deleting one or more file's in this

folder. Please make sure none of the files are currently in use

by another program, and that you have sufficient permissions to

perform this operation.

Folder: C:\... Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\
OK

"and that you have sufficient permissions to perform this operation."

What is this? I'm the only one here in this PC :confused:

Need some help

Thanks

Don't delete the one in PCHealth or your System Information will no longer work.

I don't know about other operating systems but if it is xp you have try this---

Restart your pc and while it is booting keep pressing F8 to get into safe mode and then choose "safe mode with command prompt" log into your account name and type in "cd\" then press enter (do all of this without the " ") after you press enter it should take you to the root folder (c://) then type in
"del index.dat /s" it will then safely delete all index.dat on your pc.
make sure you type it exactly as above or it won't work ( all except the dashes, i can never remember if they go forward or backward but you can just switch slashes if it doesn't work one way.

after you see that it has finished deleting type "shutdown -t00 -r" to restart your pc...thats it done..no need for extra software. :)

uly7

Thanks to both of you

I will try what Squeaky say and I will NOT DELETE the other file.

Tahnks (y)

If it got deleted, I would have a backup for you. This problem occurs far too often, so I decided to be sure to have a copy of that index.dat so that people could fix their System Information. It is not recreated by Windows and no other index.dat works.

i was just wondering if the method i described above would delete the pc health index.dat that you mention above and what are the effects on a pc if that one should be deleted...the reason i ask is because i have used the method i described and i am now wondering if i have done any harm. i have not noticed anything wrong with my pc. :)

uly7

Hola Elvandil and Squeaky

Well, I used Squeaky method, and it work. However, i just run Index.dat.Suite, and it can not find the Health.index.dat file.

Do I need that?
thanks (y)

uly7

Hola Elvandil and Squeaky

Well, I used Squeaky method, and it work. However, i just run Index.dat.Suite, and it can not find the Health.index.dat file.

Do I need that?
thanks (y)

sorry, it just find it

i havent encountered any problems and i use that method . but who know what goes on behind the scenes that is why i posted my above question to elvandil. if it is going to cause problems for you he'll be able to give you a backup of it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online