1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HELP! Coffee in keyboard!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bilnrobn, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Yep, I really did it. A full mug of steaming black coffee with sugar! Not the smartest thing I have ever done :mad:
    I immediately turned the keyboard up-side-down and shook it then hit the kill button on my UPS, then put the keyboard, still up-side-down, in front of the fire and left it there three hours.
    When I tried it the next day it still worked, but now some days later keys are beginning to stick and some keys have a different feel.
    Is it possible to take it apart and clean the sugar deposit I must have left behind? Or maybe there is something else I can pour in to clean it? :rolleyes:
    Last resort, of course.... buy a new one.
    Any suggestions?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You should be able to take the keys off without damage to them. Use a knife or a key to pop them out.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Buy a new one. I had person spill it on the keyboard in the office and it also fried the PC. Keyboards are cheap, get a new one.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree. I have taken keyboards apart and cleaned them; for the amount of time invested it is much more practical to just replace the keyboard.

If you really want to try cleaning it, take it apart. Clean parts completely with electrical contact cleaner. Let it dry for a period of at least 12 hours. Now reassemble the keyboard and it should work.

Again this is not really worth it. The contact cleaner alone runs around $8-10; for just a few bucks more you can have a new keyboard.

5. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Full agreement with crj on this.
    It's just not worth messing about trying to clean it.
    Get a new one Bil for a few quid/dollars
    Wolfey

6. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks guys. You are quite right, at the price of new ones it isn't worth trying to clean it. I will buy a new one tomorrow.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    :) yeah I agree with them, but i thought you wanted a way, hence my post :)

8. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Tidus, I appreciate your input. I was all set to start popping off the keys but I got so much advice that it wasn't worth the trouble, (both here and elsewhere). New ones are so inexpensive now that I had to agree!

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    YEah, i think you can spend no more than $5 for a basic one from a second hand store.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/380222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice