1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help!! Complete Excel newbie going into partial meltdown!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by babygyalsw2, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babygyalsw2

babygyalsw2 Thread Starter

Hi everyone!!

I am currently writing down all the weekly weights of my reptiles on paper - it's a nightmare! The purpose of the records are to check who loses or puts on weight from week to week so we can get an idea of anything being wrong over a period of time, and their general level of health. It contains: Name, the date/week, weight. I usually highlight in different colours who has put on weight and who loses weight, so I can quickly determine who needs an a watchful eye.

I want to start inputting information into a database. The thing I had in mind initially was a say a reptile's week 2 entry being the same or less than it's week one entry, the field would turn red - and in week 3 if the entry was less or equal 2 week 2's entry, it'd turn red. If it was greater than it'd stay a clear field.

I have tried to go about this all another way but why do I feel like I am overcomplicating the initial problem?! Here's what I have so far:

[​IMG]

As you can see, I have autofilter on and at the moment I am setting up filters such as greater than or equal to 50 and less than 50 and it filters well, in the same fields as the original info. However, I want to filter the info for each week but have it copied to a different place, for arguments sake H1:L6 (name and weight) - it'd need an advanced filter right??. The bit I am having a problem with is this:

[​IMG]

Here is the advanced filter box - what on earth goes in each of these three fields?

I have probably gone about this all wrong. I've gone with my very limited knowledge of Excel and tried to solve my problem but I've come to a complete brick wall, mainly through a lack of confidence with it all too. I'd really appreciate some help, or if you could explain in idiot terms a better way of going about the whole thing I'd be even more grateful!! If you could provide me the tools to have the initial highlighting idea - it'd make my xmas!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    conditional formatting would probably be the best to use for this

if you want to load some dummy data here in a spreadsheet - we can enter the conditional format into the spreadsheet and then explain how to do that

you should just be able to use the cell value

example here testing the previous cell

Attached Files:

3. babygyalsw2

Thank you so much for offering to do this, it's really appreciated! I am sorry it took so long to reply, I went into hospital for surgery a day or two after and it totally slipped my mind. Here is the link: https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2dkWWVzTkx6RS9sZThUQw

First column labelled 'id' are where the names would be, the following two columns dated December 4th and 17th are the fields with the weights (the fields that I'd like formatting).

Thanks so much :) Oh and if you celebrate it, Happy Christmas :)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have set up cells C2 to AZ100 to go red if the previous cell is less than or equal to

if you click on a cell
    and then format
    conditional format

you will see the test

To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Attached Files:

5. babygyalsw2

Thank you SO much for this...it's absolutely perfect. You have just made me life a million times easier!!!

Happy New Year :)

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    excellent - (y) thanks for letting us know
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

Unless you need to refine at all

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice