(Solved) Help....corrupted programs....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rose01

Hello,

I am trying to repair a family member's PC after it was infected with an email worm virus...W32.Hybris.gen. I'm not sure how long the virus was on the PC, however it did not appear to install any plug-ins. It had not progressed to the point of causing a black and white spiral or a black screen. I was able to successfully overwrite the wsock32.dll file. After uninstalling the programs that appeared to be corrupted and then reinstalling them, all the programs work well with the exception of MS FREECELL and MS Solitare. I have uninstalled and re-installed the accessories numerous times. They appear to work and then will end up corrupted again. My guess is a problem with the registry, but I'm not sure how to fix this mess. Can you possibly help me figure it out? I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Sincerely,

Rose01

rose01

Thank you for your response. To fix the worm, I followed the info from symantecs web. I had to go into dos and copy the cab files back onto the system to overwrite the wsock32.dll file. According to the info that I found online, the worm could have actually corrupted several registry settings which I am not sure how to correct. The only thing that I can come up with is that the registry is still corrupted and somehow needs to be re-written or corrected in some method.

Hello again Rose...

I don't know what os you are running but I noted this comment on a technotouch.com page about this virus:
Ha!!! - well, I would have quoted it but the site forbids copy and paste, so here's the full page link:

http://www.technotouch.com/asktechno.html#W32Hybris

- if you PageDown on this page about 3 times you will see the underscored clickable entry for Hybris - its a good article detailing removal techniques etc. and may give insight beyond the symantec stuff. Maybe useful to you, maybe not.

Mike

rose01

Thanks so much for your help. Well, in reading through the www.technotouch.com fix, it is exactly what I did to repair the wsock32.dll. The only thing I can't figure out is how to repair the possible infected registry. It's the only thing I can think that would continue to cause the programs to install properly and end up corrupted after several times of rebooting. They launch, but FREECELL is distorted when a new game is started and solitare won't allow you to move any of the cards. Is there a way of overwriting the registry or is this caused by another corrupt program that is causing a conflict with the games? Will it be necessary to format the drive and start from scratch?

rose01

Yes, actually it was with McAfee that my father found the virus and it was unable to fix it...he then (uggghhh) deleted everything that he thinks may have caused it, so I couldn't tell how long it had been in his system. It didn't appear to have installed any of the plug-ins as there weren't any spinning black and white spirals on his desk top and there were not big black circles. Think he had been looking at some ebarrassing stuff in his email. Anyway, after overwriting the wsock32.dll, I installed Norton System Works, which repaired a number of the problems, but still has not worked through this one.

Rose01,have you tried running the SFC?If not go to Start>Run>type in msinfo32,click on tools,then system file checker.See if you have anymore corrupted files.

rose01

Hi beach51,

Thanks for your input. I ran SFC and it didn't appear that there were any more corrupt files, but dad's (sanity) games are still not working.

rose01

Well after running SFC again, it repaired two files. I restarted the system and it froze, so I had to restart again. It booted beautifully into windows and the games are working. Hopefully they will stay....thanks again for all of your help.

Sincerely,

Rose :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online