1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help for Word 2000?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rcbrandon, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rcbrandon

rcbrandon Thread Starter

Evertime I try to open a new Word document it always opens to an old document instead of just opening a blank page. I think it's reverting to something that was saved as a template. . . or something! I just want to be able to open a new blank page! I don't know how to change it. Any suggestions?

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Find your current "normal.dot" which is the template for Word's blank document, and DELETE it. (Ask if you need help in finding it. I just won't bother here, if you already know how.)

Don't worry, starting Word, when there is no normal.dot, will force Word to create a new one. That new one will be the default, blank template, and it should be clean.

3. rcbrandon

rcbrandon Thread Starter

thanks...and yes, I do need help finding the normal.dot This is drivin' me crazy!

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

You could search for it in your C: drive's (if you use WinXP) "Documents and Settings" or (if you use WinVista) "Users", but sometimes some people have difficulty if their System Folders are set to be hidden.

Otherwise you can open your Run window (see the Start menu), type in "application data" and click [OK],
    open the Microsoft folder,
    then open the Templates folder.
    Your "Normal.dot" ought to be there.
    (Important: with Word NOT running)
    Just delete it.

Then start up Word, and see if that works for you.

5. rcbrandon

rcbrandon Thread Starter

CHUCK E

Thank you very much! Worked like a charm!! :)

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

Now, figure out how to mark this thread "Solved" :)
    Hint: Look for "Thread Tools" (near top, right)

7. rcbrandon

rcbrandon Thread Starter

fiat accompli !!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/683515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice