1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help Help Help will not start windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drozman, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drozman

drozman Thread Starter

I am building a PC. I dont have much cash, so I purchased a biostar N68S3+ , a AMD Sempron145 processor and 4GB (2X2gb) GSKILL Ram. I installed this in a old emachine case. It has a 160gb EIDE hard drive (temporary) till I can afford a larger sata. running windows xp home 32bit.
    When I boot the system a window pops up for a few seconds showing it is recognizing everything, then it goes to screen and says windows will start normaly in like 19 seconds. after the count down screen goes dark a few seconds then goes back to first screen where it is recognizing everything again, then back to windows will start normally in so many sec.
    I tried this a couple of times and also got message CMOS checksum bad and one time I received a message DQS training failed on previous boot revert to slower dram speed. ( I dont know how to revert lower ram speed)

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

3. drozman

drozman Thread Starter

When I looked for the new motherboard the page gave recommendedations on the cpu and ram to fit the mb. So what does this really mean "Revert to a slower Ram speed" Less ram? or something else? Sorry first time builder.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

How did you install Windows, or is this a new problem?

Is the date correct in CMOS?

5. drozman

drozman Thread Starter

Windows XP home was already installed on the hard drive when it was plugged in. It is the same hdd I was using. Biostar tech said I should wipe hdd and do a clean install because he said windows is not recognizine the new motherboard and cpu I this possible? as far as the date in cmos it is set at 08/26/2010 ,I reset the date and time but it made no difference. I thought the battery might be bad even though it is a new motherboard, but I took it out and it tested at 3V on my multi-meter. I got to get this thing working or the wife is gonna kick my butt for spending money on something not working lol. also she wants her pc back ( the one I am on now)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd replace that battery, anyway. I've had them read 3 volts or close to it but still be bad. The voltage can drop off to 0 very fast if the battery is bad and it won't sustain any load. Or test it with a load, like lighting an LED or something.

If Windows was not installed using that board and hardware, it will not boot. A repair installation with the XP CD sometimes works to install the correct hal.dll and drivers. It will have to be reactivated.

There could be problem, too, with the date. Windows will detect that that date is earlier than the activation date, and many programs will also intrpret that as an attempt at piracy and fail to run.

7. drozman

drozman Thread Starter

I will try a new battery. I cannot do a fresh windows install yet, as I am waiting for a sata to eide adaptor to run my cd/dvd player. I will eventually go to all sata but cant afford right now. I thank you for all your help. I will be back to let you know how I make out when I do the windows install. If you have any more ideas Please contact me again Thanks Drozman

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you are going XP, you will need a SATA driver unless your BIOS has an IDE mode for that drive. XP is too old to support SATA natively if you have the original. You should find that.

A repair installation does not change anything in Windows. All the programs and so on will still be there, but it will reinstall all the hardware. But I don't blame you for not wanting to do it too many times.

9. drozman

drozman Thread Starter

The MB has 1-eide and 4-sata connectors and the cpu says it will run windows 32 & 64 . so I would assume the mb would support eide Would I have in the bios and maybe make a change? When I try to boot it recognizes the HD and the 4 GB ram
    I do not have a windows repair disc I have fresh install disc like they would use for a new pc. I have used it a few times over the years.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it's a full, retail copy of the same version that you have installed, that can be used for a repair installation. There is no "repair disk".

You should check the BIOS to see what it says. You may have to set the IDE as the boot device and set it at the top of the boot priority.

11. drozman

drozman Thread Starter

yes it is a a copy of the same version I have installed. What I meant was it is not a recovery disc. When installing this disc it will only do a fresh istall. so drive will have to be wiped first.
    I had already set HD as first boot. Thanks Elvandil

12. drozman

drozman Thread Starter

Ok Today I hooked up my cd/dvd onto the slave of the Hard drive went into the BIOS and selected it as first boot, inserted my hard drive wiping software. shut down the pc restarted it recognized everything
    went through the same deal of the recognition window. then it went directly to the windows will start normally in 30 sec after countdown it reverted back to recognition window again. I thought being the first to boot it would have started the software. but no luck

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's really not necessary to "wipe" any drive unless you plan to throw it away. We have had people here who could not use drives at all after using wiping software. It is intended for security and not everyday use. It definitely shortens the drive's lifespan. All you need to do is remove all the partitions during setup and make new ones with new, fresh partition tables.

Not sure what you are trying to boot, but only operating systems boot. No program runs without an operating system. "Boot" means "load an operating system".

14. drozman

drozman Thread Starter

I have wiped the hard drive is the past with out any problems and did a fresh install of windows, but I can see your point as not being good to do.
    Not sure how to do fresh partition tables. are you talking about like Partition C for operating system or changing the letter of the partition? or allocating a percentage of space for each partition? (if so I don't know how)
    either way I can't do any of that if the software does not run.
    The only thing that is happening when I turn the PC on is the recognition window comes up where it recognizes the hard drive and RAM and usb ports etc. then it goes to the screen where it says windows will start normally in 30 seconds. After the count down it goes back to the recognition window again, and starts all over again.

15. drozman

drozman Thread Starter

Ok finally got the DVD to start first with a copy of Windows, Deleted Partition C and re-installed a fresh copy of windows. It worked, it booted up. I installed the motherboard drive disc and ran updates. Everything is running. keeping fingers crossed. Thank you all for you help on this matter. Its nice to know there are nice people online to help a guy out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice