1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HELP! How do I gat my data off the HD when I can't boot Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shotgun79, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shotgun79

shotgun79 Thread Starter

I need to upload my data on to external HD prior to resetting windows due to numerous blue screen errors.

How do I do that without being able to get to Windows even in safe mode?

Thanks

BTW I'm running Windows SP2 and can't even get to system restore to put it back to a decent date.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Two possible ways, one is to use something like a LiveCD which you boot to and it is able to parse your system so you can then copy your data from one place to another to retrieve it. I've read that Knoppix works well for that task. The second is to remove the drive and hook it up to another system as a non-system drive and copy the data you need from it that way.

3. shotgun79

shotgun79 Thread Starter

Know anyplace I can download one of those?

the HD hook up.. well, no slave to do that with it's a laptop HD and don't have a way to load it to the desktop.

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

http://www.knoppix.net/
    I havent used it myself as I usually go the other option suggested by fairnooks but it's the most often recommended LiveCD on TSG so it must be good !

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Knoppix is free, this will cost you some but if you have an occasional use for it, it is really worth the money and a no-brainer to use.

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

BartPE is also another viable solution.

7. shotgun79

shotgun79 Thread Starter

OK..fixed, that gadget is awesome..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice