1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help.. I can only boot into safe mode!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bond679, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bond679

Bond679 Thread Starter

Sometimes XP gets to the windows splash screen, goes grey and hangs up...
    Sometimes it doesnt even get that far.. When I reset, I can run safe mode though
    things move very slowly on boot and log off..

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

If you can get into windows, do a system restore and take the last known good configuration. The hard way is to get into safe mode, and if you cannot see anything markedly wrong, uninstall the last driver you put in and restart . <if no change try again with the next driver etc. Third way - get back into windows and type msconfig in the start/run option and see if you can identify any baddies that might be starting up there. If your knowledge wont allow that, print out what is starting onto this forum and I, or someone with more knowledge, will try and sort it out for you.

3. Bond679

Bond679 Thread Starter

Safe Mode will not allow me to run system restore, I have changed msconfig to diagnostic startup and it still loads/shuts down slowly only into safe mode...

4. ferrija1

ferrija1

do you run any anti-virus programs, the registry or windows files may have gotton corruped changed, but then it would probably not even go into safe mode. Are you sure you can't get into sys restore??????????

5. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

OK. Try removing the network interface in the device manager (or disabling it for the moment) If that works, let windows update the drivers.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try doing some clean boot troubleshooting:

First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).

In Safe Mode &#8211;

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in &#8220;selective&#8221; startup mode &#8211; you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

>> Also, if you can boot in normal or diagnostic mode, do this:

If you open the Device Manager (windows+pause/break > Hardware > Device Manager) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO, first ensure "Use DMA if Available&#8221; is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.

Note: you can expect this to read PIO mode when viewing in Safe Mode.

7. Bond679

Bond679 Thread Starter

When I 'clean boot' by using msconfig, I still have the same problems.
    In safe mode I can neither use a system restore nor see any devices in the device manager.
    I have tested the computer with a different set of memory and run many diagnostic
    programs listed in other posts

8. teraside

teraside

Have you run a checkdisk yet?

Open My Computer, right click on C drive, select properties, click on tools and click on check now. Click both options so that there are checkmarks, click on start. Click on yes at the next dialogue and restart the pc, wait for checkdisk to complete, don't press any keys(at the start or end)

It may take quite a while to complete, dependant on the size of the disk :)
    Hope it sorts out the problem. I feel for you dude. Keep strong man :( boo hooo hooo

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Do you have a restore disk for your computer?

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed?

Can I get some system stats like Make, model, processor, Ram etc?

10. Bond679

Bond679 Thread Starter

Yes I have a 'Recovery CD-Rom' from the manufacturer CyberPower
    I believe I have service pack 2 installed
    The system is an Shuttle as45 w/ p4 2.4 & 512 of Kingston DDR

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Hello, There is a way to fix your computer and it should be by doing a repair of Windows. A repair is like a system restore but does not overwrite all of your important data, but hopefully you have your data backed up anyway just in case it goofs up.

I am going to give you the following links that might help I would like you to read them first before you try them so you do not get caught in a sticky. Actually printing them would be the best thing.

First thing is I do not know if your computer is still in warrantee but the reason I asked is that on some system recovery disks the disk has the ability to do a system repair instead of a full recovery, there are so many different recovery disks it is impossible to know if this one you have has this option unless I ran it, unfortunately I can not run it so my suggestion is to call tech support for your computer manufacturer and ask, if it does have them run you thru a repair of Windows with this recovery disk. This more than likely will cost a few dollars and I absolutely hate asking someone to call.

The other options are these articles below:

Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185301251

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I am including the next one just in case you have to reinstall Windows = Worse case scenario. If you have to do this and want your data off the hard drive you can remove this hard drive and install it in an other computer as a slave drive and manually access your data from their.

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,105866,tk,urx,00.asp

I hope this helps you and have a good luck

12. Bond679

Bond679 Thread Starter

When I boot from the recovery CD, it automaticly begins to load a long list of drivers.
    After the drivers it says it is now starting windows, hanging up as usual......

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Hello, This is not good if the Recovery disk hangs up. I think you have a problem that is bigger than can be handled thru a forum. First let's try this. If you do not think you can do this you might want to have someone help you with it.

Remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive. If this drive was formatted NTFS do not put it into a machine that is FAT or FAT 32 it will not be recognized.

when booting the computer up that now has the hard drive in it and presuming the drive select is set properly and the computer sees the drive then Windows should recognize the drive.

First thing is to get your data off the drive and this MUST be first.

Next run chkdsk <drive> /f on the drive to see if it is good. You can run other diagnostics also to check it out.

If you can not access the drive in the computer at all it means the drive is more than likely no longer functioning.

If you can access it then turn off the computer and make it the default master C:\ drive and see if this system boots with it. If it does boot past where you had gone in the original computer then check other things in your computer.

As a matter of fact in this computer the drive is in right no check all of the connections that plug into the hard drive and also the ribbon cables on the motherboard. They just might be loose.

If you know anybody that is really good with computers you might want to have your computer checked by this person.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So do I understand correctly that you cannot boot to Windows in either a diagnostic or a "clean boot" configuration -- only in Safe Mode?

How much ram is installed? If you right click on My Computer and select properties, how much ram is recognized?

15. Bond679

Bond679 Thread Starter

Yes it seems to only let me boot into safe mode

512 mb is listed which is the installed amount. I have tried other memory in the system with the same results..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice