1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) HELP! image saving?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rocinsss, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rocinsss

rocinsss Thread Starter

I am trying to save images online from IE. The images are in GIF or JPG or whatever. Well when I click to save it it only gives me the option of .BMP, even when I check the drop menu its the only thing there. I have never heard of this and neither has anyone else I talk to. I have tried reseting the options of IE back to default and it still does it. I am running Win 2K if that matters. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on and how I can change it back so that I can save the JPGs as JPGs?
    any help would be greatly apprciated.
    thanks
    -Shawn

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

When you click "save", you only have the option of saving it in whatever extension it already is. Instead, click "save as" and you will have more options.

:)

3. Drone

Drone

Are the graphics you are trying to save links? I just found that if I try to save a graphic that is a link, the only format I'm allowed to save as is .bmp. Otherwise it does allow me to save as it's original format.

Saving as .bmp should be no problem. Just about every graphic program for windows can handle the bmp format. However you can type in "file.gif" and it will save as a .gif. However you have to set windows to show all file extensions otherwise you'll get file.gif.bmp. :confused:

4. rocinsss

rocinsss Thread Starter

Say I have image I want to save. I right click and then click "save picture as". Thats the only option in there for saving the picture, well besides saving the target or someting which isnt even highlighted. and in there it only gives me the option of bmp. There should be a bunch of other things and it should automaticly save as what the image is, but it doesnt. I know that you can bring the bmp into many programs but I just want to save it as a JPG. I am not saving them as links. so I have no clue as to how to get it to stop with the bmp thing and let me save the regular image.
    -Shawn

5. Drone

Drone

So the "Save Target As..." option is available? Then you are trying to save a graphic that is being used as a link. If that is the case, then what I have found is the only graphic format listed is the .bmp format. Don't ask me why, I don't know. But the three computers I tried all behave the same way.

To save your .jpg or .gif graphic, when only the .bmp option is available, you can manually type in a filename followed by the extension (i.e. "filename.gif" or "filename.jpg"). However you will need to set windows to display all file extensions. This is different for the different Windows systems, if you let me know which OS you are using I can write up some instructions.

Drone

6. redcav

redcav

Empty your temporary internet files. If it is full, you will not have the option to save a file as jpeg.

7. rocinsss

rocinsss Thread Starter

Empty your temporary internet files. If it is full, you will not have the option to save a file as jpeg.

already done. It didnt do anything.

So the "Save Target As..." option is available? Then you are trying to save a graphic that is being used as a link. If that is the case, then what I have found is the only graphic format listed is the .bmp format. Don't ask me why, I don't know. But the three computers I tried all behave the same way.

To save your .jpg or .gif graphic, when only the .bmp option is available, you can manually type in a filename followed by the extension (i.e. "filename.gif" or "filename.jpg"). However you will need to set windows to display all file extensions. This is different for the different Windows systems, if you let me know which OS you are using I can write up some instructions.

Drone

well im an not saving the target. When I go to just a image it doesnt have that option as it shouldnt if its not a link. When I try to manually type in filename.jpg it says its a bad file and will only let me save it as a bmp that is a working file. So where in windows 2000 pro do i set it to display all file exts.?
    thanks
    -Shawn

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy rocinsss

Don't know anything about 2000 but...is Paint the default viewer for 2000? If you open a picture in Paint can you save it as a jpg or gif. If not maybe if you install the jpg and gif filters for Paint you will then be able to save as jpg or gif

get them here http://www.geocities.com/one_human/advanced.html#mspaint_fix

I have been trying to duplicate your problem in XP... no luck...when I right click and select Save Picture As it defaults to whatever the picture is and BMP is also an option ...I thought if I could make it do what yours is doing I might be able to help

Maybe you need to have a viewer that is associated with file extention other than bmp installed on your system...Kind of thinking while I type at this point. http://www.davecentral.com/projects/irfranview/

buck

9. rocinsss

rocinsss Thread Starter

Well the bmp opens up in Paint. For some reason it will let me save the image as a bmp but wont let me even change it in Paint. If I open a image I already have saved that is a JPG it opens fine in IE or photoshop if I bring it in there. I know I should be able to save the bmp as a jpg in a imaging program but I cant and it shouldnt be doing that anyway, I should be able to save a jpg as a jpg. Oh well.... If I dont get this worked out soon I might just reinstal windows. I just did it about 3 weeks ago and didnt get all my stuff back on so it wont be such a big deal to do.
    Thanks for the help so far guys and if you come up with anything else that might help please let me know.
    -Shawn

10. Drone

Drone

To display all file extensions in Windows 2000:
    1. Open "My Computer"
    2. On the menu bar, click on Tools > Folder Options
    3. Click on the "View" tab.
    4. About 8 items down find the checkbox labeled
    "Hide file extensions for known file types."
    5. Uncheck that box. It should be empty.
    6. Click OK or Apply.

This will make windows display all file extensions properly. This helps to know what file types you are looking at, and is also a minor action to fight .vbs virii.

You can also check to verify that .jpg and .gif are registered file types (they should be with either IE or Office installed). To check, do the following before clicking OK in the above steps.
    1. Click on the "File Types Tab".
    2. Scroll down the list and look for .gif and .jpg (aka .jpeg).
    The list is in alphabetical order.
    3. Single click on the extension.
    4. In the space below the list it will list what program is associated with that extension.

If the .gif and .jpg formats are not there, I recommend reinstalling IE.

Drone

11. rocinsss

rocinsss Thread Starter

Drone,
    Thank you very very very much.
    "
    To display all file extensions in Windows 2000:
    1. Open "My Computer"
    2. On the menu bar, click on Tools > Folder Options
    3. Click on the "View" tab.
    4. About 8 items down find the checkbox labeled
    "Hide file extensions for known file types."
    5. Uncheck that box. It should be empty.
    6. Click OK or Apply.
    "
    That did it. It now saves as what it is. :D
    thansk for the help everyone else too.
    -Shawn

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice