1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help Installing AVG and Adobe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bboeri, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bboeri

bboeri Thread Starter

Dell computer running Win XP Home. I uninstalled AVG Free to install new version, downloaded new version, and tried to install it. During installation it gives me an error "Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVG.Kernel:creating registry key....Access is denied (5)" I tried re-downloading and reinstalling but I get the same error. I also tried to install Adobe Reader 8.0, but when I try to install the download, I get "error 1714 The older version of Adobe Reader 8.0 cannot be removed" What gives? I dont have 8.0 installed. How can I install both of these programs? Thanks for the help.

Bob

2. unbidden

unbidden

Create a restore point.

Remove the folder(s) for avg + adobe - download and install a registry cleaner such as RegCleaner. RegCleaners default view will list the registry entries by program name; put a check in the approiate entries and remove them.

Now try the avg + adobe reinstalls.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

For AVG I do believe you should un-install the old version first and that includes rebooting the computer during the un-install process. As for the Adobe product it might be that you also need to reboot the computer to get the un-install going. Do you leave your computer running all of the time? If so it is made to be shut down at least once a day no matter what anybody says. Also you might be infected or your computer that is please try running a HijackThis and post the log file.

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply. DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

A security expert should take a look at your log - please be patient.

4. Augie65

Augie65

For the AVG problem, in the future, always download the latest copy of the AVG file and save it to your hard drive. Next run that file and select Uninstall from the options it gives you and follow the wizard.
    Create a restore point, and if you are comfortable with the registry, do this.
    Open the registry and go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVG.Kernel
    click on AVG.Kernel in the left pane, then right click on it and select Permissions from the options. Give your username and the Administrators full permissions and apply, when it asks if you want to apply the same permissions for subkeys.. say yes.
    Delete key when finished. Reboot and try the AVG install again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!