1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help Installing Nvidia card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jemhead, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jemhead

Jemhead Thread Starter

I just purchased a new computer and 22" monitor about a week ago, and of course wanted to do some upgrades right away.
    The computer came with an Nvidia 7600 card
    but I went out and bought a Nvidia 7900 GS OC
    I went through and uninstalled the old drivers as well as used drivercleaner pro to clean up.

when I attempted to install the new drivers from the install cd, it shows the drivers unpacking and installing, but when it gets to the end, it says installation failed "access denied error".
    (windows recognizes the new card and attempts to reinstall on next startup)

I am logged on as the owner with Admin privileges. But I went into safe mode and attempted to install from Administrator there. I get the same process with a "no changes have been made to your system error"

I contacted Nvidia tech and they walked me through making sure I had full privleges for install with regedit and also downloading latest drivers from their website. Still same issue. They are guessing its a windows issue. (no more help)

I am running Windows Media Edition 2005 with latest updates
    Intel core 2 Duo
    4 gb Ram
    320 gb HD with 268 available
    I am running a single monitor with DVI cable

During all attempts at install, I shut down my AV and Firewall so as not to conflict.

I am hoping maybe you guys have some Ideas I haven't thought of!!

Thanks for reading:confused:

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Try with the new hardware wizard, and let it search the CDROM for the driver. You might also check NVidia's website for a more current driver.

3. Jemhead

Jemhead Thread Starter

Yeah, I tried both those ideas with no luck.
    Heres the exact error message I get when installing from the CD
    [​IMG]

4. GripS

GripS

I am not able to find any documentation on this. Is this windows install fairly new?

I know it can be a pain in the arse. I don't normally recommend this but would it be a lot of trouble to try re-installing windows?

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

I agree--if the CD won't do it, and if downloaded program won't do it, and the new hardware wizard won't do it, you're pretty much out of options at this point.

It can't be onboard video conflicting since you had a 7600 in there before...

6. Jemhead

Jemhead Thread Starter

Somehow I knew it was coming to that, just was hoping for another option, since I just spent the past week transferring files and folders from my old computer.

I'm looking right now for my recovery disks.

Thanks for at least trying and the prompt replies!

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Jemhead...

I'm not too up on Windows Media Edition, but are you 100% sure that all Anti Virus and Firewall's are shut down?

Also this may be a long shot, but does your BIOS have any type of AV (I remember having problems like this when installing the OS, so it's a long shot)...

Also check the Event viewer for any clues (both application and system)...

8. Jemhead

Jemhead Thread Starter

hmmm haven't checked the BIOS settings, since I saw the card was actually being recognized.
    I'll check into that.

9. Jemhead

Jemhead Thread Starter

Just ended up re-installing windows, and it solved my problem.
    Thanks for everyone who took the time to post.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice