1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help installing the right flash or shockwave plugin maybe?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by piscespassion, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

I'm trying to embed a widget into my website, and somewhere in the beginning of the code it says: codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"

The reason I mention this part of the code is because I've noticed a few Shockwave error messages in my browser before, and when I tried to embed the above mentioned widget, it [via my editor], it doesn't really "like it"... and it occurred to me that maybe my Shockwave issue might be a/the problem.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm assuming some kind of "flash" plugin or something is missing, as I just bought this particular laptop, so I'm not sure what exactly it has yet.

Thx so much!

2. DrP

DrP

Have you tried downloading, uninstalling Flash Player and installing it again?

3. piscespassion

Ok, so I've heard of this suggestion before (for instance, when I was having the error messages in my browser), and this time I finally decided to try it. I've uninstalled it, and now I can't reinstall it because Adobe says the following:
    [Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available.]
    However, "it was" installed in my program files! I mean, that's how I uninstalled it! So now what? What if I want to use it elsewhere, as in "not" while using Google Chrome? Should I maybe install it via IE or something?
    Thx~

4. piscespassion

Oh, and also...
    I don't know if this is necessarily "relevant" to my flash supposedly-problem, but this particular site page that we're on "now" has the side-nav ads (right hand side) overlapping into the "text" of my initial question above... the letters of my inquiry run "through" the ads on the right hand side, as if they had no margins or something... weird.

5. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Sounds like a reinstall of Chrome maybe called for. Alternatively download a browser such as Opera/Safari/Firefox that you don't have on your machine at the moment and then use that browser to install Flash Player.

6. piscespassion

Thx... I've managed to reinstall Flash Player thru IE, and I've managed to get the widget on my site and working.
    The only thing that's still "weird" is that those letters in the text above are still "overlapping" into the ads on the top right hand side of this web page... Anybody else seeing this?????

7. DrP

DrP

Which web page?

8. sepala

sepala

Yes, which web page? Are you getting the same error in different browsers? It can be an error in that particular page. But I am not sure because you haven't post the link.

9. piscespassion

This web page... "this" particular web page... "THIS" web page that we are on...

ADD: And no I haven't seen the problem on any other pages, so maybe "it is" just this site's error. It's only happening with my "initial post" above, tho... not anywhere else on the page. The rest of the posts/replies are margined off correctly. You may view the screenshot of what I'm talking about here:
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h404/aldanarosa/screenshot.jpg

10. DrP

DrP

I'm getting the same when viewing the site on an iPad. It's a fault of the website, nothing your end. Looks like admin need to update their stylesheet.

11. piscespassion

Ok... I'm on my laptop. I guess I was starting to freak out and relate it to my flash problem, lol... but it's good to know it's not just happening to "me", so thank you for that!

12. DrP

DrP

Could still be Flash maybe, and a problem with the alternative content for viewers without Flash. iPads don't have Flash installed, so I'll be getting the alt content, and you say you have a problem with Flash, so you might be getting the alt content as well.

Sorry, but you aren't out of the woods yet!

13. piscespassion

(lol) I've already un- and re- installed it...(y):D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice