1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help, Kids computer not reading drivers after I had it reformated

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wendywhy, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wendywhy

wendywhy Thread Starter

I had this computer reformated for the kids and now its not reading the drivers.

I need to install drivers for the Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, and SM Bus Controller it says.
    And I have no idea where to find them, if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it..

AMD Athlon XP 2200
    1.8 GHZ
    512 MB of Ram

Not sure if I need any more information - really know nothing about this stuff.

Thanks
    Wendy

2. Soundy

Soundy

You probably need to re-download the drivers - when the system was formatted, it wiped everything off, and Windows probably doesn't include drivers for that specific hardware.

You need at least the make and model of the computer, if it's a name-brand (Dell, Gateway, etc.). If it's a "generic" machine, you need the model of motherboard, and/or the specific chipsets used for those devices. The SIW utility (available here) may help in determining this info.

3. wendywhy

wendywhy Thread Starter

It says on the front MSI motherboard
    Will try and see if I can run the SWI utility.

I called the guy back that reformated it and he said that would be an extra charge lol - will never use him again...

Thank you

4. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

5. Soundy

Soundy

That's ridiculous... the guy reformatted your machine, I assume reinstalled Windows as well... but didn't install the proper drivers? I'd say offhand that he didn't finish the job he was already paid to do, and should come back and do so.

6. wendywhy

wendywhy Thread Starter

I totally agree, but there is no written warranty - so I am pretty much out of luck...

7. wendywhy

wendywhy Thread Starter

I downloaded the Belarc Advisor and here is what it gave me -

SYSTEM MODEL- Desktop

MAIN CIRCUT BOARD-
    BOARD- Micro-star international co., ltd MS-6570
    BUS CLOCK- 133 Megahertz
    BIOS- Phoenix technologies, ltd 6.00 PG 8/12/2003

MEMORY-
    512 Megabytes installed memory

Local Drive Volumes 80.02 GB 77.47 GB Free

OPERATING SYSTEM
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

PROCESSOR
    1.80 Gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte primary secondary memory cache

**To me this is all greek - any help? lol

I downloaded a couple drivers I found on the internet earlier and still couldnt get it to work.
    Still saying I need - Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, and SM Bus Controller

Any help would be greatly appreciate, thanks

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

what kind of computer is it, hp, compaq, dell....?

9. wendywhy

wendywhy Thread Starter

It's a generic computer no brand
    When I ran the advisor - under system model it came up Desktop and nothing else...

10. Soundy

Soundy

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

When you locate the drivers for the board and download them, be sure and download and install the chipset driver first. The chipset driver needs to be installed first so the board knows how to configure the other drivers. Also, you should restart the machine after each driver is installed.

12. brite750

brite750

since when is handing a non-functioning pc back top someone after a format exceptable.
    formatting is definately something you will want to learn how to do yourself.

13. Soundy

Soundy

^That was my thinking. It's not a "warranty" issue, it's a matter of, the guy didn't complete the job. If you had someone come in to install new kitchen cabinets, you wouldn't consider it "finished" if he didn't put the doors on them. "Sorry - attaching the doors is an extra charge"?? I don't think so.

14. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

You might need to open up the case and look at the sound and network cards to tell what they are so you know what drivers to search for.

15. Soundy

Soundy

Hmmm, midnight is correct, that motherboard doesn't appear to have built-in video... but it DOES have built-in sound and network. Those drivers should be on Microstar's website.

For the video, Belarc Advisor should list that as well, so opening the box shouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately Wendy didn't paste the entire Belarc list...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice