1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help me define core 2 quad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Byrone4807, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Byrone4807

Byrone4807 Thread Starter

Hello, Thanks for reading this.
    Dell E520
    Q6700 2.6 Ghz
    4 Gig Ram
    9500 GT Video Card
    Hitachi 1 TB HD
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    The first thing i did was check to make sure i had the right bios, after installing the quad core was to check if windows recognized it, went to system and it says "intel core 2 quad".
    So then i downloaded real temp to make sure my processor wasnt over heating (didnt buy the fan upgrade) and it shows 2 cores. The performance increase is noticeable but i did go from 1.8Ghz to 2.6. Temps are running between 40C and 60c at a load.
    Then I started wondering is this a dual core so i checked in task manager and it also shows core 0 and core 1 (2 cores ).
    Intel says the bios supports quad core technology. So did I do something wrong? or is this a dual core with 4 cores? <<<That sure sounds dumb...

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

What version of 7?

You should definitely see 4 cores not 2. Unless you have a low end 7 that only supports dual.

3. Byrone4807

windows 7 ultimate

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

5. Byrone4807

running dells version 2.4.0 on a OWG864 motherboard and 965 chipset.
    Also downloaded CPU-Z and it shows only 2 cores but it does list the right cpu and version (Intel core 2 quad Q6700 kentsfield) .

6. Byrone4807

Okay this is really getting wierd now. I am running a dualboot of xp and seVen so i went to xp >msconfig>bootini>advanced showed 2 cores changed it to 4 rebooted and xp shows 4 cores even in cpu-z it shows 4 cores now in xp only...lol....There's not an option to change to 4 cores in win 7 in boot manager only goes to 2. I know in vista theres a hal something or other to change this not in 7 though. Now im wondering if its available in the 32 bit version because i have that too.

7. Byrone4807

I dont know if what i did was right but i went to msconfig>boot>advanced option and unchecked the processor box, then restarted the computer. When returning to the advanced option in boot it read 1 processer, checked the box and 1-4 processers was availiable so i chose 4 and rechecked the box, applied, closed out and went to task manager and it showed 4 cores.............thanks loserolimbs for info

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice