1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help me get rid of this screen (see picture)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lightenrod, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightenrod

lightenrod Thread Starter

I recently uninstalled W7 on my computer that I was dual booting with Windows Media Edition. I went by the instructions and all went well except I still get this screen (Picture #1) ("select an earlier version of Windows") during boot up. It stays up for 30 seconds. I would like to eliminate this screen and go directly to the regular screen (picture #2).

There is no mention of W7 in the boot .ini and in the "Startup and recovery", Windows Media is listed as the default OS, and again, W7 is not listed.

My question: How do I elininate the screen in picture #1.

I've Googled, Binged, and Yahoo'd but can't find any references to this.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

Go on msconfig(.exe) and click the Boot tab. From there you can delete booting options. You must have an OS installed to use msconfig though.

3. lightenrod

Thanks Callum for the response. I had looked at that but wasn't sure what to delete. Maybe you can help me there. Here's my options:

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
    c:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /CMDCONS

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. lightenrod

Thanks guys
    I ran the recovery console from the XP Cd and the problem seems to be resolved.

Thanks again

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice