1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help me pick a video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JenJen7487, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JenJen7487

JenJen7487 Thread Starter

Okay, so I'm one of those stupid people who bought a computer without even considering a video card. My computer only has slots for a good old PCI card. I'm not a serious gamer, though I have been known to "dabble" in a few of the older games, Nothing that really all that hard core 3D. It just doesn't catch my interest, nor my time, to be playing WOW all day. I'm looking for an upgrade from my on-board memory that will also allow me to do some video editing. (I want to take all those old tapes from my old camera and put them all together) I need a card that will let me input old analog video as well as output it. The input is more important. And of course I'd like to have a better image quality. I'm running on Windows XP and I think I should have enough RAM and power for any video card. If anyone could suggest a card that would fit my specifications I'd appreciate it. A link and a price would be helpful too. Thanx!

2. kimsland

kimsland

Not all Video Cards work on all computers
    You will therefore need to provide your motherboard and CPU and type of Ram, how much installed (OK everthing !)

By the way are you sure that your new computer does not have PCI-Express Video slot on board ?

3. headscan69

headscan69

Most important is the model / make of motherboard. That will tell what it can / can't support.

4. JenJen7487

My computer isn't new. I've had it for almost three years now. I'm pretty sure it just has PCI on it. It's an HP media center computer (though how you call it a media center without a video card i'm not sure) It's using an Intel Pentium four processor (3.00GHz). Its got a gig of ram in it (DDR2. Is there anyways to check what kind of motherboard I have without taking it apart?

5. brite750

brite750

6. brite750

brite750

7. JenJen7487

no brown slot, just the white ones

8. JenJen7487

Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard Company
    Mainboard : Asus Goldfish3
    Chipset : Intel i915GL
    Processor : Intel Pentium 4 630 @ 3000 MHz
    Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR2-SDRAM )
    Video Card : Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/GL, 82910GL Integrated Graphics Device
    Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : HP DVD Writer 640c
    DVD-Rom Drive : IDE-DVD DROM6216
    DVD-Rom Drive : PY5245V DWP211C SCSI CdRom Device
    Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard HP vs15 - 15 inches
    Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2006)

General Information :
    Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer INC. (Asus)
    Product : Goldfish3
    Version : 1.xx
    Serial Number : X312345678
    Support MP : Yes, 1 CPU(s)
    Version MPS : 1.4

Chassis Information :
    Manufacturer : Chassis Manufacture
    Type : Desktop
    Version : Chassis Version
    Serial Number : Chassis Serial Number
    Asset : Asset-1234567890

Sensor Information :
    Hardware Monitoring : SMSC DME1737

On-Board Device Information :
    Device : (Ethernet)
    Device : (Sound)
    Device : (Video)
    Embedded Controller : Yes

Slots Information :
    Slot PCI-Express : Available (32-bit) 3.3v, Shared Slot Opening
    Slot PCI : Available (32-bit) 3.3v, Shared Slot Opening

External Connectors :
    Mouse : PS/2
    Keyboard : PS/2
    USB : Access Bus (USB)

Internal Connectors :
    AUX : On Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
    CD : On Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
    IDE : On Board IDE
    FLOPPY : On Board Floppy
    CPU_FAN :
    SYS_FAN :
    ATXPWR :
    FP_AUDIO :

9. brite750

brite750

10. JenJen7487

Yep, my power supply has max output of exactly 250watts. Think I should replace it? I've been thinking about it because its getting old. I think I've overworked it a few times. I will probably just start over again with my computer again next year hopefully. I want at least a dual core :)

Are you sure that video card will let me input analog video for editing? How can you tell? Oh and do you think maybe I should get a sound card? What about direct X? should I upgrade that too? will that make a difference? Thank you

11. brite750

brite750

old psu should probably be replaced yes
    without knowing what hw you are using to do video editing I cant answer that. When I was looking at that stuff you could buy and external box that just plugged into you pc, i dont think you need anything fancy in the way of a gfx card for that, fancy cards are for 3D video games and some graphics and CAD applications.
    Sound cards are to get stereo quailty sound from your pc but you need speakers to go with it, most new MB come with very good sound, yours may not.
    Direct X is not an issue, highest one is DX9c until you get into Vista which is DX10

12. brite750

brite750

13. JenJen7487

One of the things I was looking for was to also help get a better resolution when doing anytype of image changes. I like to use Photoshop and for the video editing I'm going to look into getting Adobe Premiere. Otherwise I'll just keep playing with Nero or some freeware. The thing I hate is that when I try to make subtle changes(like say in Photoshop) my computer wont always show them when I know from using better computers, that there should be a difference. I want more detail.

My video camera uses those yellow/white/red audio video RCA plugs to output sound and video to my TV and usually I just record to VHS. I want to take those VHS and cut/edit to a DVD but also to continue using my camera and to just skip the VHS part. I want to cut out as many intermediates as possible and just go straight from my camera to PC. Maybe I'll just get a breakout connector. In any case, its a great camera, it's just not digital. Eventually, I'll probably get a good digital one, but for now, for learning purposes, I'm going to stick with my good old analog one.

I plan on my next computer being built to run CAD software for me but right now that would just clog my processor so I just use one of the chem department's. (I'm a math/chem geek; I need that stuff to do my HW). Having a tv tuner might be nice too but not a big deal.

Thanx for the help!

14. brite750

brite750

your info says 15" monitor, if that is correct then you could use a much better much bigger one, at least a 19" lcd, then you can turn up the resolution such that you can see what you are trying to see

15. D-Rock

D-Rock

if those specs are right (asus goldfish3 mobo) then it can support a PCIe graphics card. it also says that the PCIe slot is available.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/662736