1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help me to block a file delete

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by carleman, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carleman

carleman Thread Starter

Hi!

I'm wondering if someone know how I can block so that no one can delete a file I have.

I don't want anybody(from another account) to be able to delete it.

I have Windows XP.

Please help
    Thanks in advance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Put it in your Documents and make them private. Administrators are the only ones that can access it then since they have access to everything.

3. carleman

carleman Thread Starter

Sry. I forgot to tell. I still want the other accounts to be able to open the file, but not to delete it.

But thanks anyway for trying.(y)

4. bbearren

bbearren

You can set the permissions on the file for full access for you, and read only for everyone else.

5. carleman

carleman Thread Starter

May I ask how?
    Because if I don't remember all wrong it's in the Properties, but I can't find it there :confused:.
    I don't know if it makes any difference but anyway. The file is an .jpg file so it's not a .exe file or something else.

Please help!

6. bbearren

bbearren

You have to be logged on as an administrator to see the Security tab in Properties. Also, if it's a "shared" file, or in a "shared" folder, you'll have to turn simple file sharing off to be able to see the Security tab. You can turn simple file sharing back on after you make the permission changes.

7. carleman

carleman Thread Starter

Do you mean file sharing on the network?

I am an administrator and the file is in an account that's not an administrator. In that accounts start-menu map the .jpg file is. But in the Properties there is no Security tab but I have seen it before. I don't know what I have done that made it disappear. :confused:

8. bbearren

bbearren

From Help and Support"

To display the Security tab:
    Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
    On the View tab, under Advanced settings, clear Use simple file sharing [Recommended]."

But if the other users are also administrators, they can still delete the file.

9. carleman

carleman Thread Starter

Okay. That makes me able to view that tab and change a lot of things, but now when the other user(not administrator) deletes the file it comes to my trash but it still disapear from the other account, even if the actually file doesn't delete's, it comes to my trash. I want it to block it the whole way. So the other user can't even delete it to my trash.. ?

Do you know how to do that? :D:confused:

10. carleman

carleman Thread Starter

No wait.. Now it works! WOHOO!!

11. bbearren

bbearren

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice