1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: help, my comp works in one location, just not mine!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluscrnofdth, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluscrnofdth

bluscrnofdth Thread Starter

Ok, so here is the scenario, please bare with me, it will be long.
    When I am logged on to my work computer, usually after just a few minutes, my computer will either freeze up, or it will shut down, and I will get the blue screen of death. I keep calling our computer guy to come fix it and he keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with it. My computer has an AMD processor in it, and he has replaced the mother board, the power supply and all of the memory, but this is all basically because he can find nothing wrong with our computer, so he is just going nuts replacing everything. However, the computer works beautifully at his place and when I get it back to my place it works for a bit then crashes. He will take it back and find nothing. Anyhow, this last time he had our computer he gave me a loaner, which wasnt really a loaner because it was all of our parts minus the main components - mother board, memory, power supply. When he put loaner parts in it, he put a pentium in it instead of an AMD (since our power supply is compatible with both) and I didnt have any problems what so ever when I had the pentium in it. So, I know this is a long shot, but the theory I have come up with is that maybe something in my office is triggering some kind of negative reaction with the AMD processor. I know that sounds some what ridiculous, but I am at a complete loss here, I am about to pull all of my hair out. The comp works fine at his house with the AMD in it, the comp works fine at my office with the pentium in it, but it is screwy with the AMD in it at my office. I need some imput. Is this completely stupid, or is it just so ridiculous that could be the problem, and if so, what could be triggering the reaction? I have completely isolated the computer, only the mouse, key board, and monitor are hooked up. I put them on a separate surge protector, even switched outlets thinking there could be a short or something. Some body please help me, our comp guy is starting to hate me, and I think he is more of a self proclaimed genius, and isnt really sure if what I am talking about could happen, and I say, when it comes to computers sometimes you have to leave logic at the door and look at it from a different perspective. Or maybe I am just nuts.

2. angel

angel

My first thought was heat. Are you putting your PC in a cabinet or something that may be restricting proper airflow?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Could be just one huge co-incidence, I guess. There may be slight voltage differences between the locations, but the new PSU should take care of that, unless there are wide fluctuations in one place that don't exist at the other.

What video card do you have? There is a tweak that makes some video cards more compatible with AMD processors.

4. brite750

brite750

<<My computer has an AMD processor in it, and he has replaced the mother board, the power supply and all of the memory, but this is all basically because he can find nothing wrong with our computer, so he is just going nuts replacing everything.>>

Sounds like your guy neglected to replace the cpu, there wouldnt be anything different about an AMD cpu vs an Intel that could acount for your problem other than the cpu being bad.

5. bluscrnofdth

Well, my computer was not so much in a cabinet, but confined, so I took it out, and comr to think of it, when I first got it back (the second time) I hooked it up outside of my workstation to see if it would work for a while and it did, then i decided to go ahead and connect it all back up properly, but under my work station, and within an hour it stopped - Thanks Angel, cross your fingers for me!!
    Elvandil - I have no idea what kind of video card I have, sorry.
    Brite750 - that makes sense except that it works for the computer guy at his house.

Thanks so much to everyone for their advice, I have pulled my computer out and we will see how that works!!!

6. angel

angel

On that note, whoever designed those desks with the little "cubbies" for the computer with just a hole or two in the back should be lashed a few times with a wet noodle.

7. bluscrnofdth

Actually, the back is open, but I agree

8. Conrad747

Conrad747

"So, I know this is a long shot, but the theory I have come up with is that maybe something in my office is triggering some kind of negative reaction with the AMD processor. I know that sounds some what ridiculous, but I am at a complete loss here, I am about to pull all of my hair out".

grab a chinese guy and try feng shui. lol.
    i agree with the others that the most likely cause is heat. try running your computer in the open and make sure that the power cable is connected properly. let it run for a whole day like that.

9. Buddwise

Buddwise

Poor blus =) i have had similar problems with computers but the answer may not be the parts of the PC. Do you by chance have the Case sitting on a carpeted floor?
    Static electricty can cause PC's to do strange things. =). When you changed PC's the cases on each were different. Some cases proctect from static electricty better than otheres. And ur PC guy most likely set your PC ontop of his desk to work on it. Something most of us techies do so that we can hear the HD spin up and the POST test beeps. Give that a shot and let us know what you find
    GL

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also, going from an AMD to a Pentium would require a completely different motherboard and then you are getting into plenty of potential differences.

It could be a external device you have connected to it, like a printer, keyboard, or network. It could be a power problem, different systems can react differentlt to power flucuations. It could also be software, I would hope if the Tech replaced so many parts that he would have resinstalled Windows at least once.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

And if it turns out that you have an ATI graphics card, download, unzip, and merge this registry file. It will reset the LargePageMinimum value in your memory management section to a value that makes Athlon/Duron processors more compatible with ATI graphics cards. This sometimes leads to blue screens.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/LPM.zip

By the way, what did your blue screen say?

12. bluscrnofdth

I just wanted to let everyone know that by taking the computer out of its "cubbie" has (at least for now) solved the mystical problem. I of course have spent the past couple of hours re-arranging my office to accomodate the change. The way I figure is, I havent been able to work for the past two days, what is 2 more hours re-arranging my office - lol. I wanted to thank everyone so much for helping out, I was ready to throw the stupid thing out of the window!!!

Thanks - Jennifer
    AKA (bluscrnofdth {blue screen of death})

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/297021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice