1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help! My computer won't let me in! Can you help?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MissMoxie, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MissMoxie

MissMoxie Thread Starter

I downloaded the latest Windows Updates and installed them last night. This evening I restarted my computer (it had been in hibration mode since the installation). After restarting I received a blue screen which instructed me to try and restart my computer and go in through safe mode. It had this technical information: STOP 0x000000FC (0cF7AAD8E8, 0x0742B963, 0xF7AAD848, 0x00000001). So, I restarted my computer and entered in through safe mode, after running all kinds of numbers and letters another blue screen appeared with this technical information: STOP 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF7AFB8EB, 0xF7AFB7F4, 0xf7AFB4F0). I've tried several times restarting my computer and starting up Windows Normally or in Safe Mode ending up with the above blue screens and technical information. I am now on my mother's computer. Please help if you can or any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you could even point me in the right direction that'd be wonderful. Thank you SO much!

Not sure if it matters, but I have a Dell XPS 400 Desktop purchased in 2006.

2. baladio

baladio

If you have a Windows XP installation disc (NOT a Quick Restore disc which may wipe out everything on the hard drive and reinstall everything), you may be able to run a System Restore right from the disc, without even booting to the operating system. I do not know if the Windows XP one is like the Vista one, but it will at least let you take your system back to the last "save point" where it saved system settings while it was working. I'm pretty sure this will leave your personal files untouched, but it may affect some program installations, and other minor things. If all Windows Vista installation discs have the same system restore feature as mine did, then you should be able to also use a Vista installation disc to restore Windows XP and other Windows operating systems. The Vista one, at least when it restores a Vista operating system, will change program installations as well as critical system files.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi MissMoxie

The STOP 0x000000FC is a known error after installing XP SP3.

I strongly advise you to get help directly from Microsoft to resolve this issue. Microsoft are offering free support for XP SP3 issues until April 2009.

You can find how to contact Microsoft at this link: -

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11273&gprid=522131

The above link is for support in the UK. If you don't reside in the UK then look at the top of the page and click on "Change" and then select your country of residence.

When the issue is resolved it would be helpful if you could post your experience of the Microsoft Support back this Forum.

T.

4. MissMoxie

MissMoxie Thread Starter

I actually ended up reformatting my computer. I apparently don't have one of the necessary discs, the one with the drivers. I ended up calling my ISP, Microsoft and finally Dell who helped me for $49.00. I had to go to support.dell.com and enter in my servcie tag number. From there I had to download my drivers. I used another computer to download one driver and be able to access the interent. I installed that driver via flash drive to my computer and then used my computer to download the other four drivers I was missing. I now saved all of those drivers onto a flashdrive so should I run into this problem again I will have them handy. I did end up losing everything I had on my computer. I was up that evening until 2:00 AM reformatting and it took me from 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM to finally get my computer back to having everything on it that I need and have all of those things working properly. Thanks for your help!

5. Tabvla

Tabvla

Ouch!! That really hurts. $49 and reinstall Windows..... like root canal treatment :eek:

Sorry that I was not able to help you sooner.

You may want to consider an application like Acronis True Image. Good product with an excellent Forum. I am a senior advisor on that Forum, so if you want any guidance please ask.

Send me a "Private Message" if you want to take this discussion out of the Forum.

T.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice