1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help! need to switch from ethernet cable to wireless connection to modem/rout

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kotje, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kotje

kotje Thread Starter

hello,
    As my PC will be moved upstairs soon where there is no way to get a ethernet cable any more,
    I will be forced to go wireless...
    I have never wanted it and never used it except on my mothers laptop witch is obviously built-in.
    So my experience with wireless stuff is very low...

some fact that may play a role for your comments:
    -from PC to modem/router threw the walls will be about 8 yards max.
    -there is a chimney in the direct path from PC to modem/router.
    -there is barely any metals used in the house although the modem is placed next to the water-main.
    -the laptop of my mother never had any issues and is about 2 years old cant tell you the what hardware it used ATM.

Now what I want:
    -I want my 6.4 MB/sec speed (other wireless devices dont play any role > mom laptop (80% facebook and 5% mails and 5% searching the web and the rest is youtube lol ; and the smart TV really doesn't do anything except for streaming some video clips very rarely.

- I NEVER want to get disconnected!! not even for a millisecond if you catch my drift.

- I prefer an internal piece of hardware witch I have a PCI slot for with the room. Although I would also like to be able to give internet to multiple PC's or whatever , ya never know ; LAN party for example...
    i do realize a switch would suffice but I'll just give you everything because I know there are many ways to go wireless. just dont know crap about them...

- I'm not a millionaire but I dont buy crap so keep that in mind lol. but when I buy something that I/you know will be perfect, I wont look really close at the price ( my self built case costs me a total of 3800 euro's , two years ago or 3 by now i dont remember... I'll add my system specifications at the bottom of my post.

hope you all can help me out! And thanks in advance!

friendly regards,

bryan

system specifications:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 44 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 6142 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, 1535 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1907626 MB
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., X58A-UD7
    And the best Realtek case with 9 fans at the time... cant find the name...

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can we see the quality of the wireless signals from the location you plan to be in - remember the wireless aerial maybe quite low and at the back of the PC - so test in that area
    you can use xirrus - see below - and inssider http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to test with graphs

post back some screen shots

if you decide to go wireless - i would get a pci card that has a removable aerial so you can add an extension lead and put the aerial in a different position to try and maximise the wireless signal - quite a few products on the market and i dont have a recommendation as i have never used

the next idea would be to get a wireless extender with LAN connections , i use a edimax to provide lan connection to a TV and PVR for media streaming , but i use an older version and have not tested the new product , but have read of some issues on media streaming - but as i need to review - i can talk to them about that issue

and then you could try powerline adapters to use the house wiring , quality would be dependant on the house wiring - but may offer a good solution

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/ or
    if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have reviewed with edimax and have not really recieved acknoledgemnt of the issue - only to say that when used in repeater mode its a function of the main router

but they have a more powerful 300 unit
    http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pl1_id=1&pl2_id=5&pl3_id=136&pd_id=307
    which only has 1 LAN connection - but you could easily and cheaply add a LAN Hub - edimax also make a few - 8 port version http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=70&pl1_id=4&pl2_id=23
    and then theres linksys and netgear manufacturers of repeaters and hubs also

4. kotje

kotje Thread Starter

thanks for your response,
    but as I do not own a wifi card or adapter i cant do as you ask...
    and even if i could use that program , it wouldn't take in account the interference of other devices in the area. ( did some homework :)

anyway what may give you a clue is that my mother's laptop connects perfectly in the yard with full signal strength by win 7 business and never disconnects...

I am here really to get some pointers before I buy something,
    as I have been searching, wifi is still allot slower and less reliable as power-lines.
    and power-lines seem to have been improved allot over the years to speeds over 100 Mb/s and beyond...

I dont have any wireless hardware at hand

i would just like an objective overview of my options and general fact about them.
    and take this really seriously before i end up with crap that can barely download a few Megabytes / sec
    and disconnects sometimes even if its ones a year

as my OP should tell you .

friendly regards,

bryan

5. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Bryan,

I think Etaf was suggesting that you borrow your mother's laptop and use the Xirrus to check wireless reception where you plan to locate your PC. Would give you some idea as to signal quality and possibly reception problems.

Admitedly, it is only 16 feet from the Belkin router and on they are on the same floor, but I have a PC using a Belkin USB adapter that gets a steady -47 Db signal through a 24" thick brick chimney directly behind the PC.

Also hvae another PC that is using a Netgear DG834G ADSL modem/router connected in bridge mode to the Belkin router as a replacement for a broken USB adapter. That works great inside the concreteblock garage about 45 feet from the Belkin.

6. kotje

kotje Thread Starter

when I am able to I will do so,

also could anyone inform me if using power-lines would be flawless or are there also others factors to take into account?
    Anyhow, in short i would like a objective post regarding all the options I have.

friendly regards,

bryan

7. kotje

kotje Thread Starter

with the laptop i only get speeds of up to 3.6MB/s
    I NEED 6
    the wifi test info is in the screen shot >> my connection is the one thats checked in the list with the name lecot at the end
    so i´m guessing i should go with power lines and hope everything works faster
    because laying like 20 yards of ethernetcable across the wall and threw several walls isn't really ...fun

any options, suggestion, etc... are welcome
    but as it stands now i think ill buy some power-lines as i know that those "can" hold the speeds of an Ethernet cable and even more but i get thats useless but anyway, all input is welcome.

friendly regards,

bryan

Attached Files:

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no not flawless , and also dependant on the quality of the house wiring system

where do you get that speed ? wireless , ethernet , what location
    whats the reliability of that speed ?
    what the speed you are paying the ISP for ?

you need to change to channel 11 to avoid interference - log into the router and change the wireless router

and you need a signal that is constantly above -70 (note the negative number)

is this at the location you want to use the Laptop - or near the router
    try near the router - not too close 3-4 feet away

a wireless adapter driver update may be required

9. kotje

kotje Thread Starter

easy to answer all of that
    ISP is telenet with a the fibernet 40 , witch should only give me 5 MB/s but i get more all the time;; it depends on the use of internet in my area
    you can get even higher > fibernet XL witch gives 120Mbps so that would be 15MB/s

same results on laptop on a range from modem @ 1yard , 3 yards and 5 yards

modem is fully updated including firmware

From what I experience here on techsupportguy ill go the extra effort to go and put a cable up there somehow... sigh

so i'll end this thread with :
    power-lines and wireless systems still seem crappy and unreliable!

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    in some environments - in others it works very well
    I stream HD video in the house using wireless

i would expect a very reliable connection at 1 - 3 yards in same room with no obstacles
    can we see an xirrus screen shot @ 1yard

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice