1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help needed: External hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StuartM39, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StuartM39

StuartM39 Thread Starter

I am currently running Windows Vista Ultimate on my Acer Aspire 9815WKHA Laptop, I have a 500gb seagate external drive plugged in via USB 2.0 (the drive is a desktop version). It has been working fine for about 3 months until now. I recently updated my drivers with PC Updater which slowed the machine down and had problems shutting down, I rolled all the Drivers back through PC Updater, system was still playing up so i transfered all personal important files to the Seagate External Drive (inc. C:\Program Files ... as i have programs what i needed to keep). I attempted to restore Factory Settings through Acer ERecovery system and it black screened on me, i left it for 40+ mins and had to hard reboot, after a few issues I used my back-up disks to reboot the system, Laptop working fine but my External Drive (Seagate) will not show up in "Computer". It is showing up in Computer Management "Disk Management" but when I right click it only shows up with "Help", in the bottom pane i right click and it shows "Convert to Dynamic Disk..." "Properties" "Help". I can't seem to assign a Drive Letter and can't seem access the External Drive to retrieve my data (very important data). Can somebody help me with this issue, either to get it working again or just to retrieve my data.

- I have tested the USB 2.0 with another External Hard drive and a Pen drive.
    - I have tested the Seagate External Hard Drive on another Laptop (same problem).
    - I have disabled the External Hard Drive and Enabled it again.
    - I have uninstalled the drivers and re-installed them.

Nothing seems to be working. Please Help

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

First of all, as I'm sure you have now realized, do not use any sort of automatic driver update software. You have seen that it breaks everything. From now on you'll want to update your drivers manually. The extra time you spend will be well worth it!

You'll need to reinstall Windows I think. Fortunately you have backed up your files- you do have the personal ones on the external drive, right? If not don't reinstall just yet. We'll find a way to get those for you.

You can either use the ERecovery (if you can get that to work) or find somebody with a Vista Install CD (any one will work, in fact it doesn't even have to be Ultimate. All Vista CDs are identical. Just make sure you get either 32 bit or 64 bit depending on your current Vista version).

99% of the time copying the Program Files folder onto a new system won't work. You need to go through the program install process, which makes registry entries that those files in the Program Files folder need in order to work correctly. Sorry!

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When you tested the USB ports with another drive and the pen drive what were the results? You may end up needing to open the seagate case and install the drive into another computer to see if it is the drive or the enclosure. If the drive works that way you can access your data and move it via DVDs back to your laptop. Unless someone else has a fix for this problem I don't know about. I have never had a problem with External Drives not working.

4. StuartM39

StuartM39 Thread Starter

To Hulkinator:

Yes all my personal files are on the External hard drive, as I have tried it on another system, i don't think a re-install of OS will work. I believe the External hard Drive has lost its internal system e.g (FAT32) as my Internal Drives show up as NTFS and my New External Disk Drive shows up as FAT32.

I have attached a .jpeg image of the Disk Management (The External Disk Drive is the one on the bottom of the list. Disk 3)

Hope this info helps

To DustyJay:

When I tested the USB ports with the other Disk Drive and a Pen Drive there were no issues.

Attached Files:

5. hulkinator

hulkinator

If you have data that is only on the external HDD you can try a free program called TestDisk to recover your files. I used it once to recover files from a corrupted Windows 2000 installation a little while ago, and it worked pretty well. Read up on the instructions and guides; they are pretty good and can explain the process far better than I could.

If this works you'll then have to reformat your external drive.

I'd still consider reinstalling Windows if I were you. You probably haven't repaired all of the damage that PC Updater has done. If you can, starting fresh would be great.

6. StuartM39

StuartM39 Thread Starter

I have solved this problem, with ease thankfully.

I read a Computer Magezine on Linux, had a little try of it, installed it so my Vista was not uninstalled. As soon as Linux was up and running, my External Hard Drive was readable and was able to save my data. I tried formatting the hard drive but it would not do it so i took it back to where I bought it from and they give me a replacement :)

Thankyou everyone for your help and I hope my problem solved helps others.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/856878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice