1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: [help needed] Monitor screen suddenly fades black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nabl3t, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nabl3t

nabl3t Thread Starter

Hi.

My monitor screen keeps fading black..
    I would like to ask what could be causing the problem.

here is some more info:

-Computer screen just gets black and monitor states: ''no signal". It can happen anytime. Usually it can keep running for days without any problem, and then suddenly it fades black 3x per day. I noticed the longer I keep my computer turned off, smaller the chance it will fade any soon, but then, I need to use it..
    -Im sure it isnt monitor (tried it on other pc)
    -Im sure its not cable to monitor (tried another one)
    -all "external" cables are connected properly, tried many times.
    - I believe i tried updating my graphic card to latest date when it started happening without any difference

Internal cables might not be connected to perfection, but it started happening by itself, i didnt move with PC at that time, it shouldnt be an issue, still I ll try opening it and reconnect everything I find there.

Whats your ideas about it. Hardware or software issue? And what should I do.

Thanks for every bit of help! :)

Btw: it started happening when I was using extension cable to my monitor, but Im no longer using it and problem still occurs.

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

You tried your monitor on another PC, do you have another monitor to try on your PC?
    Please post your system specs.

3. nabl3t

nabl3t Thread Starter

* HomeITserv: I'm not sure if its onboard card or not, I bought PC as a whole and dont remember opening it. Card is called Nvidia Geforce 9600 GS. I would assume its not on board. (removable card therefor)

* Black-wolf: I have another monitor, but havent tried this option, as I have seen no point in doing so. I concluded problem wasnt in my monitor nor cable. I could try another monitor, but not sure what for, as I've already discovered its not monitor problem as said.

System specs:
    HP desktop A6643
    Intel quad core q6600 @ 2.4ghz
    windows vista 64bit
    4gb ram
    Nvidia GeForce 9600GS (its probably not onboard card)

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

When monitors start to go they are frequently doing so intermitently. It's worth a try. If another monitor goes black it can be ruled out for sure.
    Could be your video card or could be your power supply as there is a 6 pin connector to the 9600.
    Download HWMonitor and post a screen shot. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor/versions-history.html

5. nabl3t

nabl3t Thread Starter

Yeah, but it would keep doing on other PC's as well. And it wasnt, I kept using it on other PC for decent while to be sure. But still will probably try it to make sure>

anyway heres a screen from hw monitor:

[​IMG][​IMG]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2s0crdk&s=6

I had this downloaded before, and to my knowledge it only shows temperatures, so wonder how it could be helpful.

6. black-wolf

black-wolf

Overheating could cause the video card to shut down, I wanted to see voltages, but for some reason HWMonitor is not showing all the voltages.

Go into your bios and check your 12v and 5v rails. If any of them are not very close to 12 and 5 it could be a PSU issue.

7. black-wolf

black-wolf

I would go into the case and clean any dust and make sure all the cables are secure. Also remove the video card and and reinstall. Make sure your computer is unpluged before doing this.

8. nabl3t

nabl3t Thread Starter

Ill do that, in min. Its not overheating Im sure as it can sometimes happen right after turning PC on so its cold.

Btw one thing to mention. My video card driver is fairly old from jun 2009. For some reason I couldnt update this driver to anything newer. (using windows update search thing)
    So I tried rollbacking instead to driver date october 2008.

Could be driver issue by any chance? Ill keep testing "new" driver whether it will work or not.

9. nabl3t

nabl3t Thread Starter

No its not driver as it faded again, twice.. Couldnt even access bios for long enough to find those 12v and 5v rails. Any hint where to find them in bios?

Ill have to do what you suggested and dust clean it to perfection then reconnect everything. Ill update this as soon as I've done it, probabably later today.

10. black-wolf

black-wolf

11. nabl3t

nabl3t Thread Starter

No I just update drivers via device manager. Should I download whole 99mb file and install it ?

12. black-wolf

black-wolf

Yes, uninstall any software for your video card thru the Control Panel/Programs and Features
    Uninstall the current video drivers through Device Manager.
    Do not reboot at this time
    Install updated drivers and and reboot if/when prompted

13. nabl3t

nabl3t Thread Starter

Appears like its driver issue after all..
    I remember long before it started fading, I had shord screen fade flash. Then it came back and I had message that about some driver error. But it was only for few seconds and then it worked again fairly. So I didnt pay anymore attention to it.

Drivers from Link you provided is for 32bit systems, it shows when you start downloading file. I tried automatic driver detection at nvidia site, but it failed to find anything for some reason.
    THen I concluded that my 9600GS is nvidia Geforce 9 series and downloaded 99mb file for w7/vista 64bit systems.

Uninstalled and deleted all previous drivers and all nvidia software as suggested, however file I was unable to install the file for some error. It worked before uninstalling old drivers though. I tried just to see whats installation like and first time it worked, second time it didnt. (after uninstall of old drivers as said)

Now then It faded meanwhile, and when I turn on pc again It starts to auto detect / install driver itself. Heres where I ended at this moment. Autodetect keeps fair long while, and Im not sure whether it will detect something as I deleted old drivers ..

I noticed that whenever I keep doing something with drivers it keeps fading that much more often, usually fairy quick..

Now what am I to do I have no Idea.. About to try installing it in safe mode, wonder whether it will work.

Btw: Ive dustcleaned PC as much as I could reconnected Graphic card, and Rams, but appears like that wasnt the case.

14. black-wolf

black-wolf

15. nabl3t

nabl3t Thread Starter

damn, it keeps fading even in safe mode..

Installation starts, but then I got message: "Found new hardware wizard is running" Close it and start installation again. How Do I close it? In safe mode I dont even see it happening.

Its fairly hard to do anything when it keeps fading all the time ..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!