1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help needed please - WIN32 trojan

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bilnrobn, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    When I booted this morning Avast found this trojan in c:\windows\system32\athcfg. At the same time I got an error message saying TWCU.exe couldn't start. I asked Avast to try to repair it, but apparently it couldn't as the same thing happened when I rebooted. I then had Avast put the faulty file into the chest. I have restored to last Tuesday, but, while Avast doesn't mention a problem, TWCU still fails to start. I am currently on my wife's lappie as with no TWCU I can't reach the internet on my machine.
    What action should I take please?

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Have you tried restoring to a point before last Tuesday? Say, a couple of weeks ago?

3. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    No I hadn't tried that, but I have now done so and I still get an error message and can't raise the internet. The message I now get when it reboots after restoring is "The application failed to initiate properly (Oxc0000022).
    (Prior to doing the above I tried booting up normally and got another message...something about System Setting Protector.)

4. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Additional information. I have just done a wall to wall virus check and it seems the virus has replicated itself in the restore folder, which would explain why it is still there after two attempts to restore to two separated earlier dates.
    The virus is Win32: Trojan-gen (other)
    The version given is 080919-0, 19/9/2008
    While Avast was doing the wall to wall I moved the one in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ to the recycle bin. The one in c:\System Volume Information\-restore\ I twice moved to the recycle bin and once, renamed with a .vir extension, to C:\program files\Alwin Software\Avast4\DATA\moved\ and it just keeps reproducing itself in the restore folder.
    (All the files I moved are still where I put them.)
    HELP!

5. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks ekim. The problem is solved, or rather I worked around it. I have replaced the wireless connection between my comp and the router two feet away with a physical cable. The problem I am pretty sure was Avast having a senior's moment and telling me there was a virus when in fact there wasn't, but in the process it made the file in question inoperative.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice