Solved: Help needed, switching from Win95 to Win ME

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dexter_Spike

Jocelyne
Hello, and thank you all in advance!

1. = I need to transfer all the email settings and address book/email folders and contents from one hard drive set up on Windows 95 to another hard drive set up on Windows ME.

The email program that she used was Outlook Express 5.x and we are going to download and install OE 6.x - I really don't want to lose any info for my friend so I am asking for help, step by step, how to proceed please.

2. = I need to transfer the favourites without losing any.

3. = I had an older Pentium II Dell motherboard, and I really wish I could get the set-up programs for it, but the Dell site was not much help...

Without the CD for the motherboard (when I got that motherboard it did not have any CD with it, we picked up that Dell computer second hand years ago) I can't use the USB ports, and other things don't work as well as they could.

Here is the story:

My friend has (well HAD until yesterday) an IBM Aptiva 2159 and the power supply died, as well as the monitor (the monitor started going several months ago and yesterday I discovered that the power supply fan was no longer working and the box was very hot, after having been left on 24/7 with no fan for nearly 3 months.)

I am attempting to build her a new computer with programs and parts I no longer use nor need, one of which is Windows ME, so that is what I am putting on it (and giving her the original disc as well).

So far I have managed to place her hard drive (Maxtor, dating back to early 2000) on another computer we have here and we are making a back up of the entire drive on a DVD. Following that we are going to copy and paste the entire contents of the new DVD on the new hard drive.

Then we will make a back up on several cd' s because my friend does not have a DVD drive.

From then on, what is the procedure for the email program please,

transfering the favourites,

and getting the set up CD or at least the programs for the motherboard?

Thank you!!

Jocelyne

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
As to questions 1 & 2, you can do a File>Export> and send your book marks and addressbook to a floppy that you can easily import on antoehr computer! ;)

Dexter_Spike

Jocelyne
Thank you... I wish it was that simple. You see, the hard drive is already installed as a slave on another computer, which does not have the OS Win95 on it, it has Win XP pro... so I am still lost. I am thinking that I have to manually go and find the right files on that old hard drive and copy and paste them in their proper places, just not too sure how to proceed, also I don't know what these places would be on Win ME.

In order to do a file>export I would have to be within the program and that is no longer possible.

Help again please?

Dexter_Spike

Jocelyne
Dexter_Spike said:
I am thinking that I have to manually go and find the right files on that old hard drive and copy and paste them in their proper places, just not too sure how to proceed, also I don't know what these places would be on Win ME.

Help please?

I just found out that my friend had two email addresses on OE that they were getting email from - and I have no clue how to retrieve the messages and the address books.

Can someone help me sort this out please? I need to have this all done by the morning...

Thank you
Jocelyne

bassetman

Dexter_Spike said:
I just found out that my friend had two email addresses on OE that they were getting email from - and I have no clue how to retrieve the messages and the address books.

Can someone help me sort this out please? I need to have this all done by the morning...

Thank you
Jocelyne

See post #2 and change Export (addressbook) to Email for the email part of it!

Dexter_Spike

Jocelyne
I managed to export the email address book - but not the email messages, for the main id only. Somehow I never learned how to do it for the second email address that was set up in OE.

I did export the IE favorites and that worked well as there was only one ID used in Windows.

I delivered the computer to my friend yesterday and it all seems to work well for her so far.

I never did get a reply to my motherboard question, number 3, where should I post for that? am I in the right place?

Thank you

bassetman

Probably would be best if you started a new thread re: this in the Web and Email thread! ;)

Dexter_Spike said:
I managed to export the email address book - but not the email messages, for the main id only. Somehow I never learned how to do it for the second email address that was set up in OE.

I did export the IE favorites and that worked well as there was only one ID used in Windows.

I delivered the computer to my friend yesterday and it all seems to work well for her so far.

I never did get a reply to my motherboard question, number 3, where should I post for that? am I in the right place?

Thank you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online