1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help needed with access to hard drive via USB enclosure

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tomdkat, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

So, the screen on my friend's laptop is dying and I took his hard drive out and put it in a USB 2.0 external enclosure. The hard drive has Windows XP installed on it.

When I connected the hard drive to another laptop he has that is running Windows Vista (Home Premium I think), Vista mounted the drive as read-only and I'm told I'm denied access to most of the files on the drive. By using the UAC, I can gain access to the files but I don't understand why I'm getting the security problems, in the first place.

I then connected the hard drive to another system, a desktop system running Windows XP Home Edition, and when I tried to access the files, I get "Access Denied" messages. So, there must be something on the hard drive in the USB enclosure that is causing the security problems.

When I connect the drive to my Linux system, I can access the files without any problems.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? I'm posting this issue here since the ultimate goal is to get read/write access to the hard drive in the USB enclosure on the laptop running Vista.

Thanks!

Peace...

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. tomdkat

Thanks! I'll give this a try and see what happens. Hopefully, I can get this to work in a manner such that we won't have to do this each time the drive is connected.

Thanks!

Peace...

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could go FAT32 if you wanted and remove any permissions issues. Or try making the drive accessible to "Everyone" in the advanced permissions settings.

5. tomdkat

I actually did something like this which seems to be working fine on XP systems. We'll see how the "important" system, the one running Vista, deals with my change. :)

Thanks!

Peace...

6. tomdkat

Well, I ended up having to assign ownership of the files I needed to access on the external drive to the userid I was logged in on Vista. "Everyone" didn't work.

Thanks for your help! :)

Peace...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!