1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help! No sound from onboard audio out, but mic works fine.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CGS84, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGS84

CGS84 Thread Starter

Hi,

While I was using Skype on my Desktop Computer today to call my friend I used the microphone of the headset and I used External speakers.

In the middle of our conversation I did not get any sound from my speakers anymore, but the microphone still worked fine.

My computer uses the on-board audio sockets. I do not have a separate soundcard.

Help! What's wrong?

I tried restarting, checking the inside of the CPU for dust and possibly other problems. I tried changing speakers but it still wouldn't work. The motherboard is fairly new.. a little more than 6 months and doesn't have a guarantee on it anymore.

There is one thing i noticed though, sometimes when I touch the CPU I get an electric shock. So I put a wire from the casing to the wall (a friend suggested that). Might there be something wrong with the grounding and have blown my onboard audio out thing?

Please Help!

Thanks in advance.

~ CGS ~

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

Never heard of getting a shock from a case. Did you put the ground wire on before or after this happened? Double check your Sound Properties in the Control panel and make sure there isn't anything muted.

3. CGS84

CGS84 Thread Starter

I put the ground wire after i got the shocks and i still got them. It has been giving shocks several years already. As long as I don't touch it, or touch it in the wrong places it's ok.

I checked the Sound Properties and nothing is muted. I even bought a new sound card.

OMG! I think I know what it is.. let me just check..

Edit:

OMG.. I had Musicmatch ON and had meddled with the volume there. Turns out I didn't turn it back up in there.
    It works now! I'm so stupid!!

Thanks lefty1953.. if you wouldn't have said what you did I wouldn't have remembered.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice