1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: help on 98 install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wildcat74, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildcat74

wildcat74 Thread Starter

My sister has an old gateway lp 550 mini tower that came with windows 98 on it. Anyways, we tried to upgrade it with windows ME and didn't work so now were trying to put 98 back on it. I got 98 to install but everytime you start it up and right after the gateway logo appears a black screen appears and it says windows is missing one the components it needs to run, then it goes right to the desktop. Can someone please tell me what to do to fix that problem. Thanks

2. bandit429

bandit429

Hi,,,can you be more specific with the error?? All the information that is in it is needed.

3. wildcat74

wildcat74 Thread Starter

yeah I'm sorry, i'm at work and thought I could remember what it said but I guess not. When I get home i'll post the whole error. Thanks

4. bandit429

bandit429

Yeah I do that tooo hahahaha...I havae to go to work soon,,,but this evening I or someone will be happy to read over your post..

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Wildcat74:

It's unfortunate that you chose to make an upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows ME because Windows 98SE is the better and more stable of the 2 operating systems.

By upgrading to Windows ME and then downgrading back to Windows 98SE, it's likely that some core files got corrupted or deleted in the process, and it's likely that there's a bunch of files from both operating systems.

My suggest to you would be to format the hard drive and wipe it out, then install Windows 98SE from scratch. You'll need a Windows 98SE startup disk with the FORMAT.COM file added to it, and a "full" version of the Windows 98SE CD.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For future reference, it is generally not a good idea to "upgrade" from one OS to another. More times than not, there are problems. Clean installs are a better way to go.

That does not mean however that you need to necessarily format your hard drive and erase any important files. See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/win9x_install.htm for some alternative solutions to getting the benefits of a clean install without formatting first.

7. wildcat74

wildcat74 Thread Starter

ok got 98 back on, but now there is another problem. Evertime I try to download windows updates it either restarts or takes me to the blue screen that says there was an error hit any key to continue or ctrl+alt+del to restart your computer and it also has green lines on top of the screen on the monitor. It also just freezes up.

8. bandit429

bandit429

Look in the control panel,,,system icon,,,,device manager,,,,see any ? or ! marks there?
    restart in DOS and type in
    scanreg /fix
    and hit enter. Then when its fininshed type exit or windows and hit enter then give it a try.

9. wildcat74

wildcat74 Thread Starter

no ? in device manager did the scanreg /fix and it ran it's course and fixed a few problems. But once again tried updates again and the screen went black with green lines at the top. Tried to run yahoo anti-spy and got some kind of run time error, then went back to the blue screen it said vd cache in the error.

10. bandit429

bandit429

Ok I just got in let me do some looking around for a few minutes.

11. bandit429

bandit429

http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/vb_runtime_files.html

For the runtime error download MSVBM50.EXE from the page above and see if that does fix the runtime error. Then I will work on the other one.

Also please post the error in full with all the characters and letters... it is hard to guess whats up when there is so little information.

12. wildcat74

wildcat74 Thread Starter

once again i'm at work but I will screen shot those errors tonight with all the errors when i get home. thanks

13. bandit429

bandit429

Ok good deal,,,,ummm I am pretty sure the file above will fix the runtime error...so try that first...then we will tackle the next.

14. wildcat74

wildcat74 Thread Starter

ok screen is turning black when I try to download that file

15. bandit429

bandit429

Do you have a complete error??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice