1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help!!! Outlook Web Access IE cannot display (logon) page

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Joel Wright, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joel Wright

Joel Wright Thread Starter

I am completely stumped with a OWA problem on my wife's laptop. She can't logon to her school's OWA from home on her computer (Cannot display [logon] page) but I can logon to her OWA email no problem on mine. Here's relevant info:

1. Both computers run XP Professional, hers is a Gateway CoreDuo 1.7 ghz, 1 gb ram, 80 gb hard drive. Mine is a Eurocom 1.4 ghz pentium 4, 512 mb ram, 80 gb hard drive.
    2. The school's OWA site is literally the *only* https site she cannot logon to. I checked other https sites and can get in to them no problem.
    3. I've cleared IE cache, cookies, history, forms, everything. No difference.
    4. I've ensured ssl is checked in IE Advanced settings. Also ensured all Advanced settings on both mine and her laptops are the same.
    5. Cleaned the registry, defragged the disk.
    6. Disabled (and then removed) Norton Anti-Virus, ensured it's the only AV program running, ensured no pop-up blockers running, no firewall. No difference.
    7. Reinstalled IE 7 (even though have the same problem using Firefox).
    8. I'm thinking it may be a registry key (or keys) that are odd or different between the two computers that might account for hers not logging on and mine logging on no problem.

I'm stumped. Please help! The only other option I see at this point is to completely take down and then rebuild her laptop. I really don't want to do that. Any and all advice, suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. kniht

kniht

3. Joel Wright

After a lot of digging around, I locked on to the idea that DNS was involved after doing a Whois search on the ip addresses for the school and the redirect to the logon page. I pinged both the school's main page and the logon page. Main pinged no problem, logon failed, as I expected from a secure site. The Whois search indicated the logon page was some heavily secure site of a group I had never heard of. It was obviously an incorrect redirect. So I checked the Hosts file (C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc), opened the Hosts file in notepad and, lo and behold, there was the offending entry. I deleted it, saved the file, made a copy Hosts.bak, rebooted, went to check her email and it worked perfectly. Problem solved.

4. kniht

kniht

Thanks for posting the fix.

Am definitely adding this one to my notes!

5. Joel Wright

Your reference to the Microsoft page really got me thinking about alternative explanations. That's when I hit on the idea of checking ip addresses. Thanks again!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/734725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice