1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help please, my software Installation does not support my operating system (w

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by daverose808, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daverose808

daverose808 Thread Starter

my laptop with xp died, and i bought a new laptop with win7. my favorite home video editing program, pinnacle 7, says the following when trying to install: "This installation does not support your operating system."

Is there nothing I can do to use this software now?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Looks like you could get a newer version.

Right click on the installation program and select "Troubleshoot compatibility." First attempt let the system decide what to try. If that doesn't work try some different selections--such as XP SP3.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If Terry's suggestion does not help and you are running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, Microsoft offers a free Windows XP Mode that can be downloaded from the Microsoft web site. It may allow running your older XP compatible software.

www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

4. daverose808

daverose808 Thread Starter

Holy Moly.

What a fast and perfect answer!

Had no clue about "Troubleshoot compatibility" and it worked flawlessly!

I was disheartened when i first read, "get a newer version" bc i already paid for studio 7, and didnt want to waste that money and buy a newer $70 version. And, because my win 7 version, home premium, wasnt on cwwozniak's list, i really thought i was in trouble. but TerryNet, ur solution was perfect. ill keep it in mind for anything else that comes up. thanks so much!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) That Troubleshoot compatibility doesn't always work, but it sure is nice when it does.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Tell me about it. I have older versions of Photoshop and Freehand that met all my needs running on Windows XP. I was able to run the installers in compatibility mode but the actual programs crashed when launched. :(

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You also tried running the actual programs with Troubleshoot compatibility, right? I'm sure you have, but since we all sometimes overlook the obvious .... :)

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It has been a few months since I tried the programs and I can not say for certain one way or the other. I do recall that I did get a screen asking if I wanted to check for possible solutions and being told I needed to get newer versions of the software. I am starting not to miss Photoshop that much since I started getting familiar with The GIMP. I may take another shot with running Freehand or pop for the $89.99 Premium to Pro upgrade that I believe has a separate XP operating mode.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice