1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help Please with Firewall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jackjak, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackjak

jackjak Thread Starter

Hi Folks

I run a duel boot system with Win ME on the C: drive and Win XP Pro on the D: Partition. I have been running XP now for about 6 months with no problems, till the other day when I logged on and I noticed the Firewall did not start up. The firewall I use is Sygate 5.6 freeware. I went to my program menu and clicked on Sygate to start there, but nothing happens, so I right click on the menu and click go to target , that takes me to D:\program files\sygate\spf\smc.exe. Again if I double click on the application in the dir still nothing happens, it's as if it does not exist any more, yet the dir and sub folders with files are still there. Can any one please help me with this...

Thanks

Jak...

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Jak, my best guess is that some file in your application is corrupt.

Suggest that you download a fresh version of the software and reinstall. It would also be advisable if you uninstalled the current version to ensure that you make a fresh start.

3. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

That happened to me once with Sygate and I never did figure out what the problem was - I suspect that it was eventually windows updates that corrupted my setup - but I had to reinstall my OS to correct the problem. Good luck, and I'll be watching this thread to see if a solution is found.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

And.... I forgot.

If none of this works then simply uninstall the Sygate Firewall and download the free version of ZoneAlarm.

I use the commercial versions of Firewalls and AV software on my desktops but use the free versions on my laptop and have never yet had a problem with the laptop.

5. jackjak

jackjak Thread Starter

OK, Will do that, it was my next step anyway if I could not find out what was wrong. BTW I also tried to use the system restore, but no matter what date I set it to it came back and said it was not a success try another date or exit.

Jak...

6. unbidden

unbidden

Symantic purchased Sygate. Symantic has discontinued support for Sygate products; therefore as Tabvla suggested download ZA.

7. jackjak

jackjak Thread Starter

How good is the free version. ???????

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi jackjak,

The free version of ZoneAlarm is excellent. As I wrote in a previous post, I use commercial strength security products on my desktops because these are my daily workhorses and are critical for my income.

However, on my laptop I use the free versions. I have been using the free version of ZoneAlarm Firewall on my laptop for years and it has never been breached.

You can read reviews and download a free version at this link :

http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html

IMPORTANT

You can only have ONE Firewall and ONE AntiVirus program active on the same machine at the same time. If you use a 3rd-party Firewall such as ZoneAlarm then you MUST switch the Windows Firewall OFF.

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Sygate support is alive and well.

http://forums.sygate.com/vb/

The latest ZA is a bit too bulky for me, seeing as I use hardware NAT.

10. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

use ZONEALARM firewall.

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

12. jackjak

jackjak Thread Starter

OK, Sygate now gone and ZA in its place. When I installed it, it did say something about having a problem with Avast 4.6 Home edition. I did not have time to mess about with it at the time as I was late for a meeting, so will have to go back into the program and see what the warning was about.

Jak...

13. unbidden

unbidden

Just an opinion;

Purchase a security suite which is inclusive of anti-virus and firewall all in one package. I prefer Panda products; others will have an allegiance towards what has worked for them. Run a Google search on best internet security software then take your pick.

14. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

the warning is nothing to worry about.

just some compatiblity issues.

it is not a problem..you'll see.

ZA works great with AVAST.

15. Tabvla

Tabvla

Agree with Odin. ZA and Avast work very well together. You should have no problems.

Unbidden wrote...
    I tend to agree with Unbidden, if the PC is a "production" PC , meaning that you are dependent upon it for your income, then it is wise to spend some of that income on equipping yourself with a top-class security package. If it is just your "home" PC and you make regular backups of your personal files (on a home PC this usually means My Documents) then the Free utilities will usually provide adequate protection.

What is the difference between Free and Paid security packages?

1. Integration. There are no Free security suites (that I know of). Logically it makes sense that if your security tools are developed by the same company that they will be better integrated and will live more harmoniously together.

2. Support. The Free packages don't usually include any support.

3. Level of Protection. This is very debatable. I know of many systems, both home and in the commercial environment that only use Free security solutions. My observation over the past 3 years is that the Free packages provide a level of scurity that is comparable with the Paid packages. And it does make sense. If you use the Free solution provided by Company X and it fails you, then you are not very likely to purchase the Paid solution. So companies providing security solutions tend to provide top-quality product in the Free tools.

4. Extras & Options. This is probably the area of biggest difference. The Free solution will usually be a single solution, e.g. AntiVirus. Whereas the Paid solution may be AV, Firewall, SpyWare, AdWare..... etc....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!