1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Help PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SusanMMaria, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SusanMMaria

SusanMMaria Thread Starter

Hi,
    I hope someone can help. A friend of mine - her computer was running really slow. She has ME (I hate ME) anyway, I cleared out cookies - Temp - Temp Internet- History - it went from 61 to 80 percent in performance - she has AOL and had not been able to connect........I got it to connect - everything was running fine but, not very fast. I wanted to run defrag. I ran scandisk first......it went through fine. It said it found errors and fixed them. Then, hesitantly - went to run defrag ( had a problem with this and ME before but, figured I could use GOBACK - it went through to 10% then stopped, said there were errors and to run scan disk. At this point the computer froze up and I had to shut it down. I could not start in safe mode --couldn't start it at all. The following is what was on the screen and remained on the screen:

Error: While initilizing device IOS
    I/O Subsystem driver failed to load either a file in the .\iosubsystem is corrupted or low memory
    SYSTEM HALTED

Okay.....then I tried GOBACK but, it said unable to find safe time to revert to.
    I even tried putting in a cd to boot from but, would not work.
    Just kept getting the above error.
    Had no floppy to boot from as one was never created.

Sorry this is so confusing. Just trying to help my friend out who has a lot of very important work not backed up.

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Sue
    e-mail: [email protected]

2. bandit429

bandit429

Click the link below and you can download a bootdisk for windows ME. That will give you a start.

ME Bootdisk

3. SusanMMaria

Hi,
    I have been waiting for someone to reply. This is something
    I have to get done tomorrow and really needed SOME advice.
    thanks very much!

4. bandit429

bandit429

You will need a bootdisk, its all I can offer as I do not know very much about ME. I will see if I can find somone who does though.

5. SusanMMaria

"You will need a bootdisk, its all I can offer as I do not know very much about ME. I will see if I can find somone who does though."

Well, I just wanted to say thanks again. I appreciate this. Like I said I need to try something tomorrow a.m
    Hopefully this will work.
    Very much appreciate you taking the time to help.
    Sue

:)

6. Del

Del

Windows ME has System Restore, go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and System Restore.
    If your friend has a restore point when it was working fine, select it and restore back to that point. If should fix the problem.
    Anything that is not in the MY Documents folder may be lost, but you can undo the restore if necessary.

7. bandit429

bandit429

Susan,

Do you have a windows ME cd with the product key??

8. bandit429

bandit429

Also here is another one you can try, Click the link below.

Click Here

9. SusanMMaria

Del,
    Thanks for trying to help but, as I posted in the first post
    I cannot even get into windows.
    Just that blue screen with system halted. Very frustrating. The ME Goback program will not work.
    I'm hoping I can create a startup disk (have to get some disks) from another person that posted --
    Hopefully that will work. I feel bad because I was trying to help her out. I'm a computer tech but, have bad luck (hate) WinME
    Thanks again though!
    Sue

10. SusanMMaria

Hi,
    She has a bunch of disks that came with the computer. Two recovery cds
    I couldn't get them to run. Very frustrating.
    To reiterate
    I'm going to try the boot disk. If that doesn't work the window (tall building) is going to look pretty good.
    Thanks all for the help. Again, very much appreciated.
    Sue

11. bandit429

bandit429

Just follow the instructions at the microsoft site. Is the computer somewhere else??

12. SusanMMaria

Hi Bandit,
    Unfortunately, the computer is in another city and we are getting clobbered with snow.
    So, not much I can do at all til this clears up.
    I did create a start up disk for her when she got the system and
    she chose to use it for something.....so...she'll have to wait.
    I really don't like ME.
    I was on another site and it seems quite a few people have
    run into problems with either scan disk - defrag with ME.
    Again, thanks for the help. I'll try running from a floppy.
    I don't recall seeing any cd with ME
    If I resolve the problem, I'll be sure to post. Thanks!
    Sue
    :)

13. Avalan

Avalan

Please dont try the window/tall building thingy Susan,with the luck you're having you'd end up splattering someone who was using their laptop,then there'd be 2 comps down!
    I cant help with tech advice,but thought a little levity might not be a bad thing.
    I'm sure you'll get it going,theres a lot of great help on this forum.If not,its only info in a computer,it can be replaced.
    I'm sure you feel bad,so here....*hug* Have a good day! :)

14. SusanMMaria

hi Avalon
    LOL on that 1. Yup - that would be my luck!
    Thanks for the post.
    I'm going to be trying to fix it later today. I'll post it if I get it resolved. If I don't......oh well. I can only try. thanks again.

15. Avalan

Avalan

You're very welcome. Yes, please post if you solve it,Im always interested in hearing solutions to comp problems.Good luck,you seem nice,I hope you get it going.

Take care :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice