1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help please?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jenschnifer, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jenschnifer

Jenschnifer Thread Starter

I had to reinstall windows after a virus took out all of the essential .dll files and the computer wouldn't start up, I now have a problem with some of my hardware not working. When I go into device manager the following have yellow question marks beside them:

ethernet controller
    multimedia audio controller
    video controller (VGA compatible).

The computer itself is an XC cube edition (not sure if that's a brand or not). It was supplied for a disabled student if that helps? It runs windows XP service pack 2.

I'm really not all that good with hardware/software issues so any help is appreciated.

2. M.Woodhouse

M.Woodhouse

The yellow circle with the question mark means that there is no driver installed for that device.

right click and then click "Update Driver" As you are using SP2 it will ask if you would like to connect to the internet. Check the Yes radio button and click next. Windows will then search for the driver on the internet.

Sometimes it wont always find one. You will need to find the hardware name and search for the driver manually. If you know what hardware it is, its easier but i cant remember how to get the name if you dont know. Might be in device manager, right click the hardware and then properties.

3. Jenschnifer

It doesn't ask if it can connect to the net, it just asks for a disc which i didn't think even existed for ethernet lol!

Is there any way to make it connect to the net to look if it doesn't ask outright?

4. Jenschnifer

Ok so i've established that my computer is from AOpen and I can find the drivers on their website but I don't know what to do with them after they've downloaded, can anyone help?

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

6. zemo

zemo

when you start it up what dose your start up screen come up?

like it will say intel , amd , e.c.t or a brand or something
    if you can tell us that that would help us some
    =D

7. Jenschnifer

Yay! I fixed it. Thank you guys :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice