1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help reading 2nd HD !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stewster1010, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stewster1010

Stewster1010 Thread Starter

My neighbor recently trashed his Dell computer, so of course I snatched it up for parts :D

Now my problem is I took parts from my HP (CPU, RAM, HD) and put it in the Dell because it holds more RAM. Everything is working fine, got a clean install of windows going, however under My Computer, I only see the one HD. The HD is showing under Device Manager and it says it's working fine. I'm just trying to get it so I can use both HD's to download and store info too.

Any help is much appreciated ! :)

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    You see the 2nd drive in Disk Management? Does it show as ready? Formatted? Online? Does it have a drive letter associated with it? What OS?

3. Stewster1010

I'm on XP, yes it's in Disk Management, shows as Online, no drive letter with it. Drive is Unallocated. Do I have to right click>new partition to get it to appear ?

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Yes, you need to format it so that the OS will see it. If it's unallocated, it doesn't exist as far as being a storage device. Partition/format it and it should show up in Windows Explorer. You might want to change the drive letter on your CD/DVD drive first, if you want the HDDs to be sequential. Otherwise your "new" drive could be E:\ (or higher, if you have any USB drives/flash drives attached).

5. Stewster1010

Ok cool, thanks a lot ! :D

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If you have further problems, please post back. If you are satisfied that this works, please mark this thread "Solved" (box near original post, I believe).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice