Solved: Help Restoring explorer.exe shell after darkstep

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

denimgirl

Hi All,

Hope you can help me. I did a real silly thing. I downloaded and installed DarkStep, a windows shell. Not having any idea what the hell I was doing, it has stuffed up everything. I cannot get my original windows explorer shell back.

I can't uninstall DarkStep coz it's not in my "Add/Remove Programs" list. So I just deleted the damn thing. I did download "litespawn" before I deleted it. Anyway, litespawn can't find my explorer shell to load and I can't find it on my Windows CD. I followed the instructions from litespawn and altered it config file, it worked once but not now.

I can't find anything relating to the "shell=" in the sysini file or anywhere else for that matter.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on a laptop. I don't want to reinstall Windows unless it's a last resort coz I have 12 gb of MP3s as well as numerous applications.

Can any one help me please, I am getting desparate
Denimgirl

denimgirl

Problem has been solved......I entered the value of "Explorer.exe" in regedit under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Micros* oft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Everything is back to normal....pheww

That's great and thanks for sharing the tip, which will help some else.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online