1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help, router died--work around not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fhatl, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fhatl

fhatl Thread Starter

I have comcast internet with a motorola modem and an ASUS router. Router appears dead -- Not even a power light while on.

As a workaround I pulled the router, connected the modem to an 8 port switch and connected my laptop to the same switch. That works fine. BUT, when I connect another 5 port switch located in upstairs office to the same switch I cannot get the desktop and other hardware located there to connect???
    Same story with yet another 5 port switch in basement.

I have powered modem and switches down and back up numerous times, but keep getting error connecting to internet.

The only difference is when I had the router in the loop I connected the modem to the router and then the router to the 8 port etc, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you need a router to route multiple devices
    with a modem to a switch you can only have 1 device connected

3. fhatl

fhatl Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. After sitting down and going over things in my head, I realized it would not work to add multiple switches. I actually pulled out one of my old routers that I had configured as a WAP and reset it to factory and configured for my home network. I'm back up and running (although at wireless G speeds) for the time being.

Now to see what to do with a fairly expensive ASUS router that is now a brick. Guess I will stick to CISCO / LINKSYS in the future.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice