Solved: Help! Security Feature + Access 2003

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

satsumaspirit

I have been getting help from OBP and jimr381 during the past few months to build a database for my workplace - on MY computer in my office.

I recently added the security feature on it, and am completely satisfied with it, however now this morning I burned it on a CD and tried to use it on the secretary's computer and it is looking for the exact file path it used on my computer to access its security file and related information. also, the secretary's computer is windows vista and mine is just good old XP.

What do I do? How would I disable the security feature in order to re set it up on the appropritate computer?

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! just kidding, I know someone will know the answer ;)

OBP

Hello again, when you say it is looking for the "exact File path it used on my computer", what is looking for it?
Have you copied the Desk Top Shortcut?

satsumaspirit

Yes I copied the shortcut, the original I assume it runs from, and the security file onto the CD. when trying to open it on the other computer it is looking for the exact placement of files on my computer to run it, instead of just looking for what it needs to open itself on the CD.

satsumaspirit

OBP,

I tried opening the real file, instead of the shortcut, and.... it works on the other computer:D I am so sorry, I just assumed that it wouldnt open because on my computer the origonal (not shortcut) file would not open.

Thanks so much for your help - what I have learned is that you do have permission to open a secured database original file when opened on a new computer - even though you dont when it is on your computer (you would have to use the shortcut in order to not bypass the password feature)

I had an early friday morning "Blonde Moment"! :)

OBP

The Shortcut is the Problem, it does 3 things, it tells the system where Access.exe is located, the database name and where it is located and finally the name of the Workgroup and where it is located.
You need to go in to the Properties of the Shortcut and change those addresses of the database and workgroup to those on the Secretary's Computer, or create the folders on her Computer that you have on yours.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online