1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help select new Mobo!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dick471, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dick471

dick471 Thread Starter

I would like to replace one of my system MOBO, and need help selecting a good one. I want to replace one of my ASUS A7V8X boards with something that will run the latest AMD CPU's but need at least 4 or more PCI slots (2 for SCSI cards; 1 for Promise card; 1 for USB card). I can live without an AGP slot if onboard video is good. Would need onboard sound, NIC, and have never used Sata drives (prefer scsi 320). Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance.:)

2. brite750

brite750

the a7v is a socket A correct, so to run a new AMD cpu would require new RAM as well DDR2 not DDR. The other problem will be that newer MB ususally dont have 2xIDE slots, and if you want ob gfx they ususally come as a micro-atx which will not have enough pci slots for you so you are in a pickle. You would most likely need a full atx MB w/o SLI because that limits pci slots as well, but you will need new ram and a pcie-16x card as well as the cpu and mb. Do you have a budget in mind or ?

3. brite750

brite750

4. dick471

dick471 Thread Starter

brite750: Budget is not a problem and realize ram, etc would need upgrading. Can use my PC2100 ram on my other system. The Ausu M2V looks OK for a start but has no AGP slot or onboard video. Guess a PCI Video card is in my future. I'm no longer in love with VIA chipset, but if this is all I can find it may do. Thanks very much.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Here's a different board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128034

It uses an NVidia chipset, supports the AM2 socket, DDR2 memory, 1 PCI-Express for add-in graphics, has integrated Geforce 6100 graphics, and 4 PCI slots.

AGP is history, all new boards uses PCI-Express for the video card interface.

6. brite750

brite750

Ive never had problems with Via but there are those that have a heart attack when one is recommended:D Yeah AGP is pretty much gone from new stuff. you didnt really mention it but do you need 2 IDE (4 devices) or is 1 ok, it opens up your choices if you only need 1, IDE drives are starting to go away also Ive noticed.
    Never had a real luck with gigabyte MBs are far as them lasting much beyond a year but thats your choice. I'd also look at Biostar and MSI for brands.

7. brite750

brite750

8. brite750

brite750

hope youre not married to that 4 pci slot thing, almost all atx MBz come with 3 or fewer.

9. dick471

dick471 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone. The Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 looks just fine. I do use a lot of IDE devices but the Promise card will do for CD/DVD-RW's. I only boot to SCSI anyway. Other IDE units can plug-in thru USB ( quite a few 400gb HD's for Photoshop Slide storage from Hot Rod Shows over 20 years). I noted that the heatsink on the Northbridge is junk and needs a fan installed. I must keep using a Promise card, extra USB card, and two scsi controllers ( 1 scsi320 for booting different O/S's from external boxes & 1 scsi80 for both 35mm/large format film scanners. I don't game but Photoshop and film scanners can really eat up memory and CPU usage. The only thing I will give up with this board is NT 4.0 ( no big loss). W2K/XP/Borg/Ubuntu/Suse is enough for this old man anyway.

Thanks again for the help.

10. brite750

brite750

(y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice