1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Help setting up a Netgear router pls

Discussion in 'Networking' started by piscespassion, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

Ok, so far Tech Support Guy users have been soooo helpful with all my problems and patient with my amateur-ness :D
    Let's hope you can understand me with this inquiry, and I can understand what I need to do...
    I have a Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router WNR1000v2 that my daughter hooked up for me a few months back. Then the ISP provider was "switched" and I'm told that my brother was at my home re-installing the same router. I was out of the country and now that I'm home, we've "switched" ISP's again, and apparently the router needs to be re-installed again...?
    I'm not understanding "why" it needs to be re-installed each time... I would've guessed that "once" would be enough (thus being the initial installation) followed by maybe "reconfigured" or something [at most] whenever we switch services... Wouldn't that make sense?
    However, if re-installation is necessary, so be it, but that isn't my problem... the original CD seems to be missing (along with a bunch of other CD's) which I'm almost sure my brother "took" because he took alot of things that he won't return... [long story short, my brother has addiction problems and is causing problems in the family].
    Anyway, is there a way I can "accomplish" setting up this router "without" the original CD?
    There are some icons my desktop that apparently were downloaded during this whole installation, such as:

* User Manual, but it is soooo long! When I click on it, it takes me this site:
    ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR1000v2/Documentation/UM/WNR1000v2_UM_19NOV2009.pdf

* Router Login, which seems to be a Web Document that takes me to this site:
    http://kb.netgear.com/app/home

* Router Setup, which takes me to a downloaded "site" that has a "summary" of my settings (SSID, Security (WPA/WPA2), Passphrase, Router Admin Login Name, Default Router Admin Password, WAN Port Setting, WAN Port Address, etc)

Even with all this information, I still feel "lost"... If I can set up this router "without the CD", can someone help me do this?
    Note: I do have multiple pc's if I need to be on the web with one while setting up the router...?
    Thx!!!!
    ~Rosa

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only value of the CD is the user manual, which you already have online, so no loss there. :)

Chapter 1 of the manual is probably sufficient for your task. If you can connect your computers to the router by ethernet and by wireless then the only thing you probably have to do is (re)configure the WAN settings--how it connects to your modem.

If you post your modem brand and model we can probably help with the WAN configuration if you don't have the information from your ISP. If you are posting via a connection to your modem you could post the following to give us some more hints ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

Believe it or not, the problem was the modem! I swapped it with my ISP and the router works just fine... "on it now"!!!
    Thanks for your help, tho, everyone!
    (Love this site, btw)
    Rosa~

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad you found it, and thanks for posting the solution. :) A good reminder that we should not ever assume something (modem in this case) is working.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice