Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Help! Settings for HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443), FTP port (21)

11K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Squashman 
#1 ·
Well, this has me baffled. My Bell Internet Security Services Activation (I just installed it on a computer not used for some 4 or 5 months) popped up a window saying "Waiting for Internet connection"...and waiting and waiting. But my Netgear wireless connection to the router in the house indicates "very good" signal strength, which I thought meant I was connected. Obviously not!

I tried opening IE. "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page" (much as I expected)

Clicked the button which was showing on the IE cannot connect page "Diagnose connection problems" and followed the instructions. The final diagnostic is "Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer. Check the firewall settings for the ports HTTP...etc." Where on this earth are they?!

I checked the Windows Firewall settings and found it "off (not recommended)" so I switched it on.

I re-ran the diagnostic on the IE page and nothing has changed.

My question is:

How do I check the settings for HTTP port (80) and HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21)? Also what do I set them to?

Many thanks, in advance, for a solution to my problem!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Squashman, but I've fixed it now.

It turned out to be the Proxy server setting, which was switched on. Don't know why. As soon as I unchecked it, away went everything perfectly!

As for the Windows firewall, I left it switched on but maybe I should turn it off again now, as you suggested, because I have the Bell Internet Security Services package. The only reason I turned it on during my attempts to fix the connection problem was because the error message was directing me to a problem with a firewall. Do nothing, nothing will surely change. Do something and see what happens...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.