Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Help!!!!!!!!system Restore Accident

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  The_Oracle 
#1 ·
Someone Please Help.the System Restore Button Was Pushed Accidently And Everyting On My Computer Is Back To The First Day I Bought It.i Need Something Desperately.please Help

#11 ·
could this possibly be the manufacturer's 'system restore' option, rather than windows'?

this is known as a 'destructive' system restore as it will overwrite the system partition and wipe all data ... back to factory default.

what is the make of your PC?

#15 ·
The model number should be located on the front of the computer if this Compaq has a big green light it is about 1 or 2 inches below the light.

#18 ·
Undoing a Restoration on Windows XP said:
Reversing Restoration if you can boot your computer:

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Click "Undo my last restoration", next. Click Ok to the
screen message after the reboot.

Reversing Restoration if you cannot boot your computer:

Boot into safe mode, follow the help screen and choose, "Undo my last restoration".

Note: If you have chosen the wrong restore date, follow the steps under, "Undoing a Restoration".

How and Where System Restore Points are saved:

Restore points are saved in under x:\system volume information\_restore{558C94FD-3C7F-4954-A02D-
26679E6D849E}. Each restore point's files are saved in a folder named RPXX where XX is a two digit number
corresponding to the restore point.

System Restore: Description and Functionality of Srdiag.exe

The file Srdiag.exe is a tool developed specifically for capturing System Restore files and putting them into a text format or other format so that a support professional or an advanced user can easily view the contents of such files to try to diagnose problems that are occurring with System Restore.

Srdiag.exe collects all information that is related to System Restore and puts it in a .cab file. The .cab file name is then
automatically generated by using the computer name, followed by a timestamp for the month, day, and year, as well as a timestamp for the hour, minutes and seconds of the .cab file creation.
I would give the bold part a try...unless you other more professional people have an objection??

#21 ·
Safe Mode

• Reboot Computer
  • After the first screen (The Compaq Logo screen), tap F8.
(The Compaq Logo Screen is technically the BIOS loading screen)

Windows Advanced Menu should appear.

• Use the keyboard to navigate to Safe Mode, and hit enter.

You should be in Safe Mode now.

#22 ·
since we cannot exactly diagnose what really happened there, you should do the following:

open you Local disc C: and the folder 'Documents and Settings' by default you'll see the following folders in there:

All Users
Default user
and Folders with account names used on your computer, check the account folders and see if any of your documents show up in the sub folder 'my documents'

if that is to no avail, STOP using the computer (even browsing the internet will cause more damage as there will be temporary files written onto the disk) and bring it to a repair shop.

what they should do: remove the drive, connect it to another computer and recover as many data as possible. there are excellent data recovery programs available that can retrieve deleted files, even from drives that have been formatted or overwritten with an image file (which i think happened in your case). the more you use the computer, the harder it will be to recover lost files.

now, data recovery doesn't come cheap (good news: i doubt the hard disk is physacally damaged, so it will be a hell of a lot cheaper). so ask for a quotation first and ask yourself if it is worth the money.

#24 ·
good gal yourself, well done!!! :)

now mark your thread as solved using the 'thread tools'

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.