Solved: Help transfer from media player to mp3 player

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cheapkelly

I read some of the posts and Im a bit confused. I got my children MP3 players for Xmas. Here is the steps I took so far. I downloaded the newest version of Windows Media player and took all of the cds to "rip" onto them. They are all on there with no problem. Here is the problem. I will start with my daughters. I got her a sandisk sansa. Opened the windows media player, plugged in the mp3 player to the computer, and it did say sansa read under the drive, so I clicked "copy" and it says error occurred. Is there a step I'm missing? Once this is done, I'll need help with my sons. I got him an archos, but to my understanding both should be compatible to windows media player. I didn't want to download tons of software for each one with differerent "libraries", so that is why I am using media player to begin with. Any other ideas?? Thanks.

Just to clarify.. did you "rip" the music off the cd to your harddrive first? You'll need to do that because I don't think you can copy them off the cd directly to the mp3 players.
Once you've done that, you can copy the mp3 files you just ripped to the sansa. It should show up as an another drive in explorer.
I'm not sure about the archos as you didn't give the model number.
Some mp3 players come with proprietary software that you HAVE to use to put mp3's onto the player. They do this as a copy rights protection measure by having the software prevent you from copying the mp3 from the player onto a computer - you can only copy from the computer onto the player. I don't know if the Archo is one of these types of players.

cheapkelly

Yes, I put the cds on the computer. Now, remember, I am a computer nerd, well, I guess that's a complement, so I should say computer ILLITERATE!! so I don't know about explorer, but when I plug in the player and go to the right side of media player it gives options, cd, audio cd, data cd, highmat (whatever that is) and then sansa. I assume you just click on sansa then copy, but it's not working.

I don't know about the interaction between the sansa and WMP since I don't have the sansa.

You can open explorer by (one of many ways) going to your Start menu and right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Explore. This will open a window with all your drives. You should see one for the sansa or mp3 player.

Here's a link to directions on how to rip cd's through WMP version 10. http://portables.about.com/od/mp3players/ht/howtoripCDWMP10.htm

cheapkelly

Well, no luck there. It doesn't show up, only under the player does it show up. Also, that link showed how to rip cds, which I already did. Should I plug in the player then restart the computer???

also try this.. shutdown the computer.. unplug the mp3 player.. and reboot.
after it's started, go back into MyComputer where you see all the drives listed. Take note of all the drive letters.
Then plug the sansa back in. See if you notice anything new in My Computer like an additional drive letter that wasn't there.

cheapkelly

Thanks for ALL your help, but this is now solved. I ended up calling sandisk tech support who told me I had to format the mp3 player, which I had NO idea I had to do. Did you guys know that??? LOL Thanks again! Now I'll try the althros player to see if I can get that one going.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online