Solved: Help Unknown Problem!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

compaquser

I am having a problem with my computer. Lately my computer has been randomly freezing. I checked for viruses and spyware and it came back clean. Inside my computer is totally dust-free. My memory is OK i have 192 mb. I tried swapping both pieces but prob. still occurs. I do not know what to do. Both of my factory installed fans work properly. Although I have noticed that my vid card has been heating up a lot. When i touch it, it feels really really hot. Could that be the problem? HELP!!! When I go into Everest to check my temps It shows me the temp for my WDC Disk Drive and it is at 117oF or 46oC. Is that bad I took the side panel off my computer so it could get some air. SOMEONE HELP FAST!!!

Comp Specs-
Compaq 5002US
Windows Xp Pro- No SERVICE PACK
Zone Alarm Firewall Installed
Antivirus software installed
192 Mb of Ram
Nvidia Vanta LT 8 Mb video card
AMD DURON PROCESSOR 800 MHz
36462 MB FREE

I would say its the vid card overheating. You can buy a GPU chipset fan at a local computer shop for fairly cheap. Heck, take the card with you and have them put it on, only takes a minute or two.

The Vanta is a low-end card that only needs a heatsink to cool it, not a fan as well. WHY aren't you running any service packs? Don't tell me you're running that pirated "corporate" version of Windows XP Pro :rolleyes:

compaquser

Arcadion said:
The Vanta is a low-end card that only needs a heatsink to cool it, not a fan as well. WHY aren't you running any service packs? Don't tell me you're running that pirated "corporate" version of Windows XP Pro :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info Arcadion I am not running any service packs because I think they take up unnecessary space on my cpu and they are ******. What good do they do me except for having to download updates every day. They are totally retarded.

they don't take up any space on your cpu, they plug up security holes and help your system run more stable.

Arcadion said:
Even people with that pirated version can get service packs.

compaquser said:
Thanks for the info Arcadion I am not running any service packs because I think they take up unnecessary space on my cpu and they are ******. What good do they do me except for having to download updates every day. They are totally retarded.
Because they fix bugs and protect you from the many, many viruses that infect Windows XP via severe security holes present in the original, pre-SP1 release. And you wonder why your machine is playing up :rolleyes:

Anybody wary of the fact that he is running XP Pro on a machine with 192MB of RAM?

In an Ideal world if the darn thing boots, I guess it should run, but this is not an ideal world (outside of Texas that is :D ).

I'd be suspicious of a low memory problem during moments of high activity!

192MB is a bit lean, but certainly better than 128MB or even 64MB. I think we had a machine running XP on 32MB come into the workshop, once :eek:

compaquser

I had 64mb to start out with that was when I had windows millenium when i upgraded to xp pro someone advised me that i should upgrade my ram and i added another 128 mb ram stick onto my motherboard. I plan to add some more ram. My computer runs fairly fast though.

compaquser said:
I had 64mb to start out with that was when I had windows millenium when i upgraded to xp pro someone advised me that i should upgrade my ram and i added another 128 mb ram stick onto my motherboard. I plan to add some more ram. My computer runs fairly fast though.
My youngest
son also thinks his tricycle is fast also... :) But seriously if you ever decide to upgrade you will discover what speed is... :eek:

Arcadion said:
:D I only run SP1 with all available upgrades. I have been through it with SP2. It works fine on my other machine but then again I don't use the other machine.

I don't like how bossy SP2 is for one. For another is slows my system (at least in my mind it does). I can do just as well with zone alarm, spybot, spywareblaster, adwatch, etc.

I also don't like the boot screen but that is just petty, I could most likely hack that if I really tried anyway.

I'll install SP2 and uninstall it. I'll install it with a slip streamed disk and then have to format to get rid of it. :p I hate it, it is a menace IMO. Now if I were to start suffering because I didn't have it installed I would install it. Like maybe when IE 7 is released. Only if IE 7 looks worth it though.

SP1 I will agree is pretty much necessary, but SP2 I just hate. Maybe I'll grow out of it someday, maybe not?? The strange thing about it is that I can't pinpoint any one thing I hate about it. It is just a cumulative thing I guess. There were too many changes involved.

pugmug

Banned
accat13,the tricycle thing is one of the funnier things I have read in a long time,good job.Still Lmao on that one.

Could also be a power issue.
Try swapping powercables between the hd and cd-rom.
Worked for me with similar problems.
Regarding the heat issue, remove the sidepanel and put a small fan
blowing in the direction of the mobo/graphic card.
If that brings the temperatures down, and the comp doesn't freeze
you'll know you need a better graphic fan.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.