1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HELP! Various XP Home Problems!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by allen10, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. allen10

allen10 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to posting on forums to get answers for computer related problems...

Well here's what drove me to hitting the forums...

I have a client's PC which I said I would help fix as a favour. It's running Windows XP Home Premium and here are a list of problems that I've found so far...
    • It won't shut down using Start > Shutdown command but will with the power button
    • It won't logoff, it just gets stuck on the saving settings screen
    • Add or Remove Programs is completely blank
    • It hangs when you want to access network connections
    • It hangs when you want to access system properties
    • DVD drive is not recognized and doesn't open
    • Internet doesn't go anywhere, it just hangs
    • Customize notifications is completely blank
    Something is telling me that the above problems are somehow linked.
    I trust the client alot, and they say that it started with the icons on the desktop dissappearing when it was switched on one morning - which I've fixed.
    So far, I've tried allsorts including Defragging, CHKDSK, and anti-virus scans and the client is very reluctant for me to format the PC.

Even if you think you can only solve one of the problems above the help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

2. huggie54

huggie54

3. huggie54

huggie54

you could also try a Windows repair

4. allen10

allen10 Thread Starter

So here's an update of the current situation. I did a Windows repair this morning and now the computer freezes when it boots up (when the 3 blue bars scroll across the screen) into the normal mode. But when I logon in safe mode, everything seems to be normal and most of the above problems no longer exist.

So does anyone have an idea what's causing this when I try to log into Windows normally?

Thanks again!

5. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    What brand or type of computer is it ? While booted into the safe mode, look for error or warning messages in the Event Viewer which is in the Administrative Tools in your Control Panel. Also in the Computer Management is the device manager, which can show problems with hardware drivers. Try running one more malware scan for spyware and viruses while in safe mode too. How old is this PC, it may have some faulty or failing components in it ?

6. allen10

allen10 Thread Starter

Hi jrbeurgel,

The PC is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P P5GD1-FM and I don't think it's any more than 5 years old. Upon a physical inspection and checking in the device manager all hardware seems to be funtioning as normal. I'm just running a full system scan from Norton 360 which was already installed and then I will run Malwarebytes to see if that picks anything up.

7. allen10

allen10 Thread Starter

Update: I've run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it came up with two infected registry entries with Trojan.Agent :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{549b5ca7-4a86-11d7-a4df-000874180bb3} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{549b5ca7-4a86-11d7-a4df-000874180bb3} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Could this be anything to do with my particular problems?

8. huggie54

huggie54

hiya mate,in safe mode its booting with the minimum of devices and programs needed,will it load windows in normal mode,have a look in device manager any yellow ! or red Xs

9. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    I do not know about that trojan malware. You could check the settings in the BIOS, which are usually set to defaults. And run a check disk, which is called "Error checking", and is run from the Tools tab of your drives properties in the "My Computer". But it will not run until the next re-boot is done. Is that a laptop or a desktop computer ?

10. allen10

allen10 Thread Starter

I ran an error check at the very start both from Windows and from the repair function when booted from the Windows disk. As it will now not let me reboot, shutdown or logoff (because it gets stuck on saving settings),the chkdsk command from cmd won't work on the reboot of the PC. I will look at the BIOS later today and reset to default settings and I will also have another look at yellow ! and red X as well as looking at the event viewer again. Oh, and Jrbeurgel, it is a desktop PC.

I'll keep you posted on my progress...

11. allen10

allen10 Thread Starter

So here's an update for all those that are trying to help:

I Reset the BIOS settings to default - no change there.

DVD drive now works, the power to it had come loose somehow.

I then checked the event viewer, here's the result:

DCOM (10005) had a X next to it and was listed multiple times.

userenv (1524) & (1517) was also listed with a ! next to it and was listed multiple times and I think this is what is causing the problem when it won't logoff. The description is: "Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services". I had a look and userenv is a .dll file located in C:\Windows\system32. Does anybody have a solution to this?

Thanks again for any help you can give!

12. huggie54

huggie54

this is a new userenv .dll try this

Attached Files:

13. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    The services which run can be really vital, so look in the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services, and be sure the DCOM service is set to automatic start, and is running. Web sites for help with this; http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm and here too; http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services , or do a google search for XP services. You can also run the system file checker tool, this done by typing in the run box this; sfc /scannow , (include that space) and have your XP CD ready to put in to copy needed system files. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747/

14. allen10

allen10 Thread Starter

Problems Solved! Thanks everyone for your generous help! I tried the sfc /scannow cmd prompt and seemed to slowly get somewhere, then I checked the services that were running and after restarting the computer several times, a program called mionet was constantly starting, it wouldn't stop or start, it always had a starting status. I uninstalled it and all is now well on said computer! Thanks again!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice